GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Installation and Tuning Tips

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Contemplating upgrading my GTI to an IS38, tuning with EQT.
I've never done a turbo installation and would appreciate any installation tips. Also, I assume that until I get specifically tuned for the new turbo, I should not go WOT and should drive like an elderly invalid. If i pull the trigger, I'll be going with this kit from FCP. Any additional parts i need to get/replace?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-turbocharger-upgrade-kit-is38-ihi-kit-ihiis38kit

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That kit is all you need. And you're right about not getting on it too heavy until it's tuned. And remember to change your oil before you install it.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Sending a PM, I'd like to buy your IS38 Installation and Tuning Tips.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
It's not too bad to install it. Undo the engine side motor mount and get a ratchet strap on an anchor to move the engine towards the front of the bay, you'll give yourself a lot more clearance and make life easier removing and installing the turbo from the top

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
It's not too bad to install it. Undo the engine side motor mount and get a ratchet strap on an anchor to move the engine towards the front of the bay, you'll give yourself a lot more clearance and make life easier removing and installing the turbo from the top

No need to undo the trans mount even though the trans is connected to the engine?
Any recommendations on how to make the contraption?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

I'm rerarded, since i meant for this thread to be in the engine section of the forum, not in the classifieds. Do you mind moving it?