GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 - Heardtbreak on the dyno

AZGTI2

Ready to race!
gti.jpg

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya actual boost is always higher than specified.. But it seems really high (granted I'm looking at this on my phone so it my not be showing correctly)

2.2 bar = ~32psi

That's above atmospheric pressure, right? If not, ~17 seems low

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I tried to check my logs to jog my memory but all my logs are on my other computer :/ I'm on a hunt to find out!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
OK it's including atmospheric pressure like I thought it must be. So 17psi is probably the issue. It looks to only be requesting that much so issue with the tune?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I just found this on APR's IS38 page. Wondering if the wastegate wasn't adjusted properly on install?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sne8-9svmN0

My other idea was that is the max value the ECU will report. I know I've seen gn4r post logs showing higher boost values, but not sure if that was through VCDS or JB1. Trying to think of stuff :) Going or gn4r will probably chime in soon haha

AZGTI2

Ready to race!
IIRC a cell will throw if it needs to be adjusted, I think I saw that on APR's site. I have less than 10 days to return this tune, which puts me in a precarious spot, since i would have to drive around with an IS38 on a stock gti tune (which i ended up having to do for a week or so prior)

I may be able to get a protune locally and there is another vendor with very nice numbers on the R just waiting to get their hands on a gti/is38 that I spoke with today

The local APR dealer is not really helping and I am growing weary of spending any more money dealing with this issue. I'm getting to the point where I would rather try out another tune at this point

805mk7gti

Ready to race!
If your only hitting 17 psi then you definitely have an issue somewhere. That's what a completely stock GTI will hit. I'd invest in a boost gauge if you don't already have one.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Good news is that 280whp on 17PSI is a good number, hahahaha.

Let us know how the 1/4 goes! Interested to hear some numbers.

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
If your only hitting 17 psi then you definitely have an issue somewhere. That's what a completely stock GTI will hit. I'd invest in a boost gauge if you don't already have one.

PSI does not equal the amount of air flow. A larger turbo will move more air at a lower PSI than a smaller turbo.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
ECU requesting 17 psi is near or at stock, I would get the car re-flashed.

Oryx R

Ready to race!
IIRC a cell will throw if it needs to be adjusted, I think I saw that on APR's site. I have less than 10 days to return this tune, which puts me in a precarious spot, since i would have to drive around with an IS38 on a stock gti tune (which i ended up having to do for a week or so prior)

I may be able to get a protune locally and there is another vendor with very nice numbers on the R just waiting to get their hands on a gti/is38 that I spoke with today

The local APR dealer is not really helping and I am growing weary of spending any more money dealing with this issue. I'm getting to the point where I would rather try out another tune at this point

Sounds like you may be able to get free tuning from that other vendor if your willing to let them use your car as a Guinea Pig.

I agree with the other guys saying the tune seems wrong. I know for a fact that the IS38 APR tune is supposed to be higher than 17. Mid 20's Tapering to mid teens. The stock golf r is 17 psi as well as the GTi. The difference is the turbo size.

The number that he was producing also seem very close to stock Golf R numbers. Is it possible that they flashed him with the APR STOCK golf r tune?