IS38/Big Turbo or Motorcycle?

• Moar HRSPRS

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • DonorCycle

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I don't make a lot of threads - but I'm fairly bored at work and thinking of how to waste some extra money.

I'll do one or the other, but not both, or at least not in the same year. I guess that would make the question, which to do first.

Going from Stage 2 to IS38 will likely cost around 2k between the snail and accessport/software, new hardware, plugs, fluids, tools, and assorted miscellaneousness.
On the high end, a different big turbo could cost double that or more if I went as nuts as some of you guys.

For 3 to 4k I could buy a pretty decent new-to-me motorcycle. I sold my last one, a nice BMW, more than two years ago and I've been kind of itching to ride again. There's a really nice looking VFR on craigslist that I keep staring at. I've been riding off and on for 25 years.

It'd also be nice to have an extra vehicle to get around on, so working on the gti doesn't need to be rushed over a weekend if it needs fixing or some such.

What say ye.

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I have an old 2001 R1 and my R will never be as fast as my stock dinosaur of a bike regardless of mods chucked at it. If you are willing to ride to get your speed fix, the bang for buck of used sportbikes will never be matched. I suggest you do the bike if you still like riding, VFRs sound awesome.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
bike...different tools for different jobs. You've been riding 25 years .....that's what you miss

Mud

lives in Vegas and needs ideas on how to waste money......?!?!?!

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
vfr with a nice exhaust would be a legit commuter.

It had a nice exhaust and a Lion battery to boot. Priced real well, but alas it got sold already. Just went up 4 days ago too. I knew it likely wouldn't last long.

There's also a nice BMW k1300s but it's more dough than I want to spend. Always loved that bike's looks - supposed to be a monster.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
bike...different tools for different jobs. You've been riding 25 years .....that's what you miss

Mud

lives in Vegas and needs ideas on how to waste money......?!?!?!

People who've lived here for more than a few years either give up nasty vices or get chewed up and spit out.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
It had a nice exhaust and a Lion battery to boot. Priced real well, but alas it got sold already. Just went up 4 days ago too. I knew it likely wouldn't last long.

There's also a nice BMW k1300s but it's more dough than I want to spend. Always loved that bike's looks - supposed to be a monster.
can confirm. Went and test rode one because I considered getting rid of my hayabusa for a K1300S. Kept the busa and got a more comfortable seat, I think I made the right choice :D. Commuter duty went to a KTM 1190 Adventure R, great bike for commuting and honing around on fire roads on the weekend (or going into the ditch to get around traffic)

Last edited:

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
With going from stage 2 to simply an IS38, you’ll eventually get bored with that too. Figure an IS38 and a Protune is going to cost $2,000 right off the bat and then the misc items. You’ll be installing yourself or paying? I’d get the motorcycle. If you’re looking for a real difference you’d have to do an EQT or DBV, then you’ll want HPFP, etc etc, that rabbit hole will get deep real quick.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
With going from stage 2 to simply an IS38, you’ll eventually get bored with that too. Figure an IS38 and a Protune is going to cost $2,000 right off the bat and then the misc items. You’ll be installing yourself or paying? I’d get the motorcycle. If you’re looking for a real difference you’d have to do an EQT or DBV, then you’ll want HPFP, etc etc, that rabbit hole will get deep real quick.

Self install.

And I am leaning motorcycle as of now. Though it's rapidly getting too hot here to enjoy riding.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Go for the bike! VFR is a great machine, I have sold all my bikes except a Ducati 1200 Multistrada I bought used, I don't put many miles on it but when I do I just love being out on it!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I do not, sir.

ForeverAlone.gif

alone.png