GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Well I found the main contributor to my original 1.8 letting go. The hiccup that plagued my original motor still existed after swapping the new motor and occurred with either 1.8 HPFP. The last time my car ran well was at Pocono in 2018. When you run the North Course at Pocono you are in a long right hander for almost half the track. One of the sessions my fuel level dipped below 1/2 tank which starved the LPFP of fuel long enough to damage it. The damaged LPFP caused a lean mixture at high RPMs.

Yesterday I installed an APR HPFP and LPFP, and the problem was totally gone! Pulled like a freight train all the way to 7500rpm in first through fourth. Case closed. Man this car is fun, I can't wait to get a little more seat time! A proper dyno tune and it'll be a freaking rocket.

No issues running upgraded pumps? Also 7500? I run apris38 and cant get more than 7200rpm.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Still a 1.8! It's currently APR tuned, but will be switching to United Motorsport once they have the time to get me in. I'll take the car up to them in CT and drop it off for them to develop software for FWD 1.8s.

For what it's worth the car is running great with the APR file and pumps. Currently no CELs and it idles great!

Do you have any way to log a pull with your current setup? Are you aware of any reason why the APR pumps seem to work without specific tuning?? That pump is $$$ though.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
For what it's worth the car is running great with the APR file and pumps. Currently no CELs and it idles great!
You will probably be fine till the ambient temperatures drop.

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Pulled like a freight train all the way to 7500rpm in first through fourth. Case closed.

Damn... I need to grow some balls.

7500rpm? What's the factory valve train actually rated for?

The chart in the self study program ends at 6500rpm, and the redline has that first mark at 6500, but both of those are likely due to the fact that the stock turbo isn't rated to go any further than that.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Put 774 miles on the car this weekend, just under 1000 total on the fuel pumps. I threw a CEL around 300 miles into my trip. The CEL was for low voltage and every module had this error. As soon as I saw the code I remembered I forgot to fully tighten the positive wire on the back of the alternator. Easy fix! No CELs related to the fuel pumps yet, but as stated above it seems to be a cold weather cold start issue. It definitely runs super rich at idle. Car pulls like a freight train, but needs a proper tune to unlock its full potential.

7500rpms is just my stress test, if everything works and holds together I don't have to worry about a minor overrun at a track day. After some testing 6800-7000 seems like the sweet spot for shifting the 5 speed. I really need to go to an airport mile event to test shift points; the 1/4 mile is too short. Stock valve springs are the only worry with high revving, but I do not recall their rpm rating.

I hope one of these times you perform your 7500 RPM stress test it doesn't fail.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That's weird because my APR tune redlines at 7000 rpm. Not that I would want to go any higher, but I have seen some on here say 7500 or 7200. Wonder what's different about the tunes

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
That's weird because my APR tune redlines at 7000 rpm. Not that I would want to go any higher, but I have seen some on here say 7500 or 7200. Wonder what's different about the tunes

I logged mine for shits and giggles. Ya this is my absolute farthest i can go.

Attachments

• 944CAAA1-B6E9-44A3-BCE5-D7B14476DA66.png
    944CAAA1-B6E9-44A3-BCE5-D7B14476DA66.png
    282.1 KB · Views: 145

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I guess mine is pretty close to that. I'll have to log to get an exact number

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Currently running into a P0234 overboost code in 4th gear only. I can reproduce it consistently. It happens very quickly after shift into fourth right around 124mph. The car will fall on it's face spike over 30psi and set off the EPC light.

Wastegate tests fine cold and hot
Wastegate passes adaptation
Swapped MAP sensors, no change
Tried 2 OEM DVs, neither held over 15psi
GFB DV+ holds the boost without issue

Seems an awful lot like boost creep. Maybe the wastegate is failing, but still passes the tests/adaptation? Maybe it's tune related. I recall a couple GTIs having a P0234 code and it turned out it was the tune. Need to do some datalogging this weekend I guess!

P0234 Code:
This indicates the PCM (powertrain control module, also known as ECM or engine control module) has detected that the intake boost pressure sensor input signal receives pressure more than the maximum specified input pressure by 4 psi for over 5 seconds.

It could just be a limit that needs to to be raised in the tune. But exceeding a max value by 4 psi for more than 5 sec is worrying.

I think the limit of the MAP sensor is 29 PSI at sea level.