GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Has anyone done a Unitronic 2+ w/is38? My setup, just finished this past weekend:

Stock air filter (aFe on order)
Stock air box w/snow guard removed
MST tube & elbow
is38 (duh)
Stock exhaust
Stock intercooler

I know I'm leaving some power on the table but I was a little underwhelmed so I logged a 3rd gear run and was surprised to see boost peak at 1.4bar, barely more than the is12 with the Unitronic 1+ (2.25bar). That's about 21psi.

It pulls really hard eventually and doesn't trail off. I lifted at 6250, unfortunately.

Can't speak specifically to your setup but, in general:

Larger turbos will add less heat to achieve the same pressure (they're not working as hard). Obviously within reason.
Larger turbos won't have the same shocking torque as a small turbo (so it might feel underwhelming when in actuality, it's just smoother).
Larger turbos will obviously be able to support more boost higher in the rev range (since they're capable of flowing more volume).

The difference between the is12 and the is38 isn't HUGE but it's there.

Someone else probably has more relevant/technical data.

mfennell

Passed Driver's Ed
Quicker follow-up than I expected from Unitronic. Target is 1.4-1.5 so I'm there. Good points joedubs. The smoothness is probably throwing off my butt dyno calibration.

Probably something to be had with an IC but it was 50F and I only did a single pull.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
FF1799B8-0A04-47F9-8E0C-8DE3673222AD.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Has anyone done a Unitronic 2+ w/is38? My setup, just finished this past weekend:

Stock air filter (aFe on order)
Stock air box w/snow guard removed
MST tube & elbow
is38 (duh)
Stock exhaust
Stock intercooler

I know I'm leaving some power on the table but I was a little underwhelmed so I logged a 3rd gear run and was surprised to see boost peak at 1.4bar, barely more than the is12 with the Unitronic 1+ (2.25bar). That's about 21psi.

It pulls really hard eventually and doesn't trail off. I lifted at 6250, unfortunately.
Their site says it has crackle/pops/bangs/overrun - does it? How is it?

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
That's interesting. I remember APR claiming they wouldn't run the crackle tune since unlike the 2.0, the 1.8 doesn't come with the necessary temp sensors to ensure cat health. Since Unitronic is normally to more conservative of the two, wonder what they know that APR doesn't.

mfennell

Passed Driver's Ed
I haven't noticed it. Maybe it's just subtle with a stock exhaust? Alternative: the marketing department just got it wrong. The page also mentions the "EU-style startup overrun", which I haven't noticed.

To Sparky's point, I found some old posts on Vortex saying you shouldn't run the cackle file with a stock cat, even in an R, which presumably has the sensors.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I haven't noticed it. Maybe it's just subtle with a stock exhaust? Alternative: the marketing department just got it wrong. The page also mentions the "EU-style startup overrun", which I haven't noticed.

To Sparky's point, I found some old posts on Vortex saying you shouldn't run the cackle file with a stock cat, even in an R, which presumably has the sensors.
It could be - I know they've had wrong info on their main site before. Someone with the tune should reach out to John and ask.

mfennell

Passed Driver's Ed
By someone, you mean me but I'm glad it doesn't have it. :)

I checked this morning - definitely no extra noise on overrun.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
By someone, you mean me but I'm glad it doesn't have it. :)

I checked this morning - definitely no extra noise on overrun.
I'm guessing it's just a mistake on their web description, possibly just a copy/paste from the R or GTI tunes.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Well I found the main contributor to my original 1.8 letting go. The hiccup that plagued my original motor still existed after swapping the new motor and occurred with either 1.8 HPFP. The last time my car ran well was at Pocono in 2018. When you run the North Course at Pocono you are in a long right hander for almost half the track. One of the sessions my fuel level dipped below 1/2 tank which starved the LPFP of fuel long enough to damage it. The damaged LPFP caused a lean mixture at high RPMs.

Yesterday I installed an APR HPFP and LPFP, and the problem was totally gone! Pulled like a freight train all the way to 7500rpm in first through fourth. Case closed. Man this car is fun, I can't wait to get a little more seat time! A proper dyno tune and it'll be a freaking rocket.

Still have a 1.8 in there? If yes, what tune?