GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

DAS_STIG

Banned
What do you mean by the IS38 the new redline is 7500? Wouldn't the engine components (cam/springs) have more to do with where your redline should be to ensure safe engine function rather than where your turbo develops efficient boost?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Ironshade found out some of this with his. It doesn't like the long pull of the third gear. The IKH01-24 Densos are the race plugs. They are like $30 each. The regular IKH24 are still fine to use. You just need to change more often. Brisk Silvers are another good option. I think you're optimistic about 7,500. Maybe 7,000 at most. Haven't seen anyone push it that high yet. Now get to the track and get some times!

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
7500 RPMs?!?! Does your car already have the 2.0 block? Just wondering because it doesn't look like the IS38 is a good match for the 1.8T as the IS38 and accompanying APR tune have been out for less than a year and we're already starting to see engine failures. I'm really glad I went with the IS20. Please be careful especially if you're revving it that high.

It pulls past 7k, we did it a few times on the test drive and I did a couple more pulls on the way home for science. Maybe it's because it's a beta tune they let the revs guy higher, maybe it's the single variable cam that allows it to rev that high I'm not really sure. It's a totally different animal from the IS12 it's not what I was expecting. The exhaust even sounds entirely different now, much much much much louder lol. I really wonder what a HPFP and injector upgrade would do. The TTE601R is probably the perfect turbo for a 1.8 head 2.0 block build.

One other thing: motor mounts, I have BFI engine/trans and VWR torque arm. They aren't enough to hold up to the IS38, so I'm hoping I can convince 034 to release a track series mount for the 1.8 5spd/tip cars

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The stock 1.8t redline is 7200 and it’s on the cluster. You have to look at it correctly.

Congrats on the upgrade though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
7500 RPMs?!?! Does your car already have the 2.0 block? Just wondering because it doesn't look like the IS38 is a good match for the 1.8T as the IS38 and accompanying APR tune have been out for less than a year and we're already starting to see engine failures. I'm really glad I went with the IS20. Please be careful especially if you're revving it that high.
1 failure that was stacked, running meth, and pushing the envelope as far as he could, so let's not overreact. There's plenty of 1.8/IS38 cars in the Alltrack/GSW/Golf Facebook groups and this is the only failure I'm aware of.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
And it wasn’t the turbo nor tune that caused it either. But, that’s all I’m going to say.

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
Yes it's the first failure we've heard but you have to remember how new of an upgrade this is for 1.8T owners. The miles haven't been racked up yet.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I thought it was multiple failures from your last reply...

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
It's the English language. Read it again. Doesn't mean there are multiple failures.

I thought it was multiple failures from your last reply...

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
“We already saw one engine failure”

Vs

“We are seeing engine failures.

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
My 2 cents. 5mt on is38 is a monster. You on base flash apr tune. 23-16psi. I run 28psi taper to 24psi at 7k rpm and car pulls like a freight train. Its a low to mid 120car. That being said. Base apr flash ya has some to be desired. Turn it up and its a completely dkfferent animal. I get zero corrections and no misfires. 5mt is an absolute beast for highway rolls. And the spacing is a 2-3 is fine i rev to 7k and its puts me right in power zone.

Also you dont need injectors or any fueling upgrade.
I pulled hpe650 hennesey gen2 ctsv 60-130mph by a car
I pulled vargas stage 2 upgraded turbo n54 (530whp) by half a car 40-140 (we did alot of pulls)
I pulled a bmw 840i turbo on v8 on 15psi (490whp) by bus lenghts lol.

The reason 5mt actually works great is the wheelspin to lag ratio is perfect. Long gears mean no crazy wheel spin. You can load car spool and stay in power for a long time. Might not feel the fastest cuz you just riding out a gear instead of banging gear but trust me.. my is20 setup on 27psi would’nt even hold a candle to the is38 set up. 70-110mph i dropped 1 full second lol

Logs
Jb4 stack
https://drive.google.com/open?id=18Uh3sXPBH4KxcYGQ82_BTzlERI7ukPUI

Apr vs jb4 stack +6psi
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sFgLXQaqWLUV_3TSnmDrnrWDzNgcGFSA

Accleration video https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PxdL4qAib7NF91m04NidsIudNmH7EZ7O

Armchair racer : theres only been one is38 failure on 1.8tsi. And that car was stacked, r injector, and ethonal mix with 17’ advance (apr100) on water meth and running same boost i was. It took a shit due to leaning out a cylinder not because of power.

Also will be going to drags and dyno soon to see what she does. But baised off of races i’ve done I expect some really good numbers on dyno. And if i can drive a decent track time. Ha gotta find a set of hoosiers first

Last edited:

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Blade, you say you have a beta tune, what tune do you have?

Ironshade, when did you upgrade to IS38? What tune are you running with that?