GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 1.8T Info/Discussion

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
So in talking with IE, it doesn't look good for building a 1.8 out to 2.0. I still need to pull my motor apart(I know I'm slacking lol) to look at the crank and counterweights, but the Gen III 1.8 and 2.0s they had in their shop were totally different.

I ordered a 2.0T from a GLI, but still haven't found information on the timing chains. I planned to run a 1.8 head on a 2.0 block. I know Garetto threw a entire 2.0 GLI longblock in, but my ecu currently cannot be tuned for such. Unfortunately I think this means I'll have to throw in another 1.8 longblock for now while I wait/search for my 2.5T donor. I have a lead on 2 TTRS's, but I only have a 15k budget currently. The last RS3 I was bidding on went for 19.
There is nothing to tune differently on the 2.0 gli full engine in order for you to swap it into your golf. You just need to swap over some of the 1.8 sensors and such. It's been a while since Garetto has done it, so I forgot what exactly had to be swapped over. The gli head will work exactly like the 1.8 head. There is no vvtl on it just like the 1.8. The exhaust cam has a little bit more lift.
As far as what is different on the 2.0 vs the 1.8 in regards to the crank and counterweights, that info has been out there for a while. The 1.8 uses less counterweights, lighter counterweights and has smaller journals. The crank alone is 7lbs less than the gti 2.0 crank.
So if you truly want a 2.0, just get the correct gen3 gli engine, swap over a few bits from the 1.8, and call it a day. The tune won't know there is a displacement or cam lift difference

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
If they have larger cranks, they are gen 1 engines. So lots different than just the crank. The tune won't know that the cam is different. It just has more lift. That is all. It will help spool a larger turbo faster. If the gli is a gen 3 and doesn't have SAI, you can then just swap it over from the 1.8

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
You just need to swap over some of the 1.8 sensors and such. It's been a while since Garetto has done it, so I forgot what exactly had to be swapped over.

I believe there was a freeze plug that had to be moved, and the oil filter housing had to be swapped.
Other than that afaik, the gen3 GLI motor was a direct swap.

@Blade3562 is probably right that his tune can't be optimized for the bigger displacement and additional lift, but it'll still help.

What a shame that the bastard child if the modern lineup serves as a solid upgrade for our cars... Lol.

Also, fwiw, nikolai_shapland on Instagram just did a built 1.8t long block with a boss600 in a sportwagen. I don't have the details and I'm not sure if he's on here.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ended up canceling the 2.0T. I don't feel like dumping money into a temporary motor and there are too many questions out there surrounding the 2.0 swap and my ECU. I replaced the 2.0 with a 1k mile CXBA 1.8. Should be here any day. Can't wait to get back out on track!

Curious to learn about that built 1.8. It's probably not too expensive, and would be a good option for a lot of Golf owners!

I haven't heard about any 1.8 cranks walking away. But if mine lets go, I'll likely do some sort of built motor. Can't wait to see what you end up doing.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Nikolai is also using a gli cam. So that pisses on that theory that the 1.8 ecu won't work with it. The ecu is measuring parameters and controlling sensors and components. All of that will stay the same with the larger displacement and the higher lift cam. It's not rocket appliances. Garetto did the gli swap on a stock 1.8 ecu using an Eurodyne is20 file on it. Plus I thought blade was super tight with the APR guys. Wasn't he running some "beta" is38 tune. Lol.
All I hear is a bunch of bullshit talk and then nothing to back it up

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Bro quit with the swap nonsense. Its a 6k-7k$ golf. Put 1.8t in it. If u want something better you can def have a gti for 10-12k and life should get better lol. This 2.5t swap, ls swap, 2jz swap, rb26 swap, 4 rotor bang bang swap stuff is annoying. Lol

Hornung418

Passed Driver's Ed
Unlike most 1.8T owners, I have done my research, so attacking me won't help your case. I have reached out to every contact I have in the VAG community to find a solution for my "build."

The early 2014 built 2015 1.8T FWDs use a different ecu from other 1.8Ts. So far we've learned my box code is not capable of supporting different HPFPs and no one we've communicated with is able to write a custom tune for it. UM said it's a possibility in the future, but it's currently not a priority. Once they receive enough requests they will re-evaluate and need a test vehicle. UM does know I'm willing to transport my car to CT for tuning.

Everything we researched pointed to a 2.0 bottom end with a 1.8 head for a solution. Unfortunately I still haven't received my requested copies of the EA888 Gen 3 timing chain assembly, so I decided to cancel my 2.0 longblock in favor of something to get my car back on track.

Why spend thousands of dollars on a motor/build that is questionable, when I can throw a temporary 1.8 and install a Gen 2 Evo 2.5 swap we know will work later in the year?
UM tuned my DBV2 V1 Journal Bearing Hybrid Turbo, Precision Raceworks MPI, Walbro 525LPH LPFP. I am 6MT and 4motion. I don't think a FWD car would be any different from a tuning stand point other than you have a different transmission.

I know what went into Nikolai's build, but I'm not allowed to say. Sorry for being such a tease. Gotta keep it secret until he gets the Eurodyne Sneaky Tune completed and the dyno numbers.

I like the idea of the GLI engine swap. I don't know why the discussion veered away from that not being a viable option for 1.8 to 2.0L upgrade without the hassle of ecu's and wiring differences.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Bro quit with the swap nonsense. Its a 6k-7k$ golf. Put 1.8t in it. If u want something better you can def have a gti for 10-12k and life should get better lol. This 2.5t swap, ls swap, 2jz swap, rb26 swap, 4 rotor bang bang swap stuff is annoying. Lol
Y U Gotta be such a downer?

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure someone else will venture down the 2.0 GLI path and find a tune, but for me the more I dug the more questions I had.

Hardware wise, the GLI motor has all the same features than the golf 1.8T. Crxgator already did the hard work to prove that. Idk what your exact setup is, but aren't you jb4 stacked on an APR tune? You swap the oil pressure housing, swap the long block, and start it up. Your ecu has all the right controls because the GLI doesn't have the variable timing/lift that the other 2L cars do.

GLI 2L = same electronics
Any other engine = wiring/ecu/immobilizer etc

I'm not sure what all the angry back and forth is about because I haven't been around/paying attention to the drama long enough to care.

I'll have to hit up @Hornung418 since I think I might know some of the secret sauce that Nikolai is using. o_O

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Also the stock lpfp is the same as a gti. Our hpfp is weak. R injectors are not the answer. The 2.0 hpfp works better than an injector swap. Your problem is that you are talking to OTS tuners. Not actual custom tuners. I'm a fwd car running a 2.0 hpfp. And like mentioned above, the GLI engine is a bolt in with a few items swapped. It's not a big deal. Just do it. The ecu won't know the difference. Stop imagining what will work and just do what actually will. GLI swap it and be done. Get a custom tune from Reflect for the 2.0 hpfp.

Last edited:

mfennell

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone done a Unitronic 2+ w/is38? My setup, just finished this past weekend:

Stock air filter (aFe on order)
Stock air box w/snow guard removed
MST tube & elbow
is38 (duh)
Stock exhaust
Stock intercooler

I know I'm leaving some power on the table but I was a little underwhelmed so I logged a 3rd gear run and was surprised to see boost peak at 1.4bar, barely more than the is12 with the Unitronic 1+ (2.25bar). That's about 21psi.

It pulls really hard eventually and doesn't trail off. I lifted at 6250, unfortunately.

Last edited: