GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Turbo Longevity

How are the stock IS20 turbos holding up to long term use?

• > 80,000 miles - tuned - no issues

Votes: 32 62.7%
  • < 80,000 miles - tuned - turbo replaced

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • > 80,000 miles - no tune - no issues

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • < 80,000 miles no tune - turbo replaced

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
All good points Snailpower. I think I will keep rolling the IS20 until the time comes to replace it. At that point, the IS38 may come to the party as this car may not be needed for daily city commuting. All all of the supporting mods have been executed already such as intercooler, clutch, so for me it will really be just the turbo and the tune.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
All good points Snailpower. I think I will keep rolling the IS20 until the time comes to replace it. At that point, the IS38 may come to the party as this car may not be needed for daily city commuting. All all of the supporting mods have been executed already such as intercooler, clutch, so for me it will really be just the turbo and the tune.

IS38 will be perfectly fine for daily/city commuting. From what I hear, it feels very OEM until you get on it. Sure, you will overall lose some MPGs but just look at the MPGs of the R and that is probably where you're going to fall around, unless you're constantly beating on it. Though when in vaccuum, I'm sure you won't take much more of an MPG hit than what you already get with the is20, not to mention no AWD helps save. You'll probably get even better MPG than what the R gets, lol.

You're truly in that like 90% work done then if you only need the turbo and tune. Not sure how much the IS38 kits go for but guarantee it's cheaper than new OEM IS20. Crap, if I had as much as done already as you, I would already be looking to get to the IS38... Try to blow your IS20 if anything. Give yourself a reason, rofl.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
IS38 will be perfectly fine for daily/city commuting. From what I hear, it feels very OEM until you get on it. Sure, you will overall lose some MPGs but just look at the MPGs of the R and that is probably where you're going to fall around, unless you're constantly beating on it. Though when in vaccuum, I'm sure you won't take much more of an MPG hit than what you already get with the is20, not to mention no AWD helps save. You'll probably get even better MPG than what the R gets, lol.

You're truly in that like 90% work done then if you only need the turbo and tune. Not sure how much the IS38 kits go for but guarantee it's cheaper than new OEM IS20. Crap, if I had as much as done already as you, I would already be looking to get to the IS38... Try to blow your IS20 if anything. Give yourself a reason, rofl.
It still costs - I'm in that phase of the GTI. Depending on your previous tune and whether you would need to switch or not, you're still looking at ~2K USD.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
It still costs - I'm in that phase of the GTI. Depending on your previous tune and whether you would need to switch or not, you're still looking at ~2K USD.
Yup, no doubt. Worse if you can't install it yourself. Though that is true. That's why I'm saying if you have the money to do it, then it's worth it because between that or just replacing OEM, you're still looking at similar costs if you already have 90% of the supporting mods done.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
I actually just took a trip through Boston this past weekend and if you stay in the city stick with the IS20. It’s response time is much better suited to city driving. The only opportunity I had the ability to stretch the legs of my hybrid is when I shouldn’t have...
I hear both things--that IS20 is more practical, builds boost earlier, and that IS38 is very similar, builds boost only a few hundred RPM higher, etc. I live in a city but most of my driving is highway. I'm pretty happy with IS20 for now, but might eventually upgrade.

Yup, no doubt. Worse if you can't install it yourself. Though that is true. That's why I'm saying if you have the money to do it, then it's worth it because between that or just replacing OEM, you're still looking at similar costs if you already have 90% of the supporting mods done.
I think for me I would need to upgrade intercooler and probably clutch as well (TTRS) if I went IS38. The stock intercooler on Alltrack is the same as the GTI, but smaller than the Rs. Upgrading intercooler just didn't make sense given my location and driving habits.