GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Turbo Longevity

How are the stock IS20 turbos holding up to long term use?

• > 80,000 miles - tuned - no issues

Votes: 32 62.7%
  • < 80,000 miles - tuned - turbo replaced

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • > 80,000 miles - no tune - no issues

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • < 80,000 miles no tune - turbo replaced

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
APR Stage 2 no less if my memory serves. Your IS20 deserves a medal.

I just think that with proper maintenance and handling, these cars are just reliable.

mrs1700

Any codes prior to that?
I didn't have a VCDS at the time. I had an EPC light and loss of power (fixed on restart) the day I bought the car (39k on it), and then it was fine for months.

About 6 months in I again saw an EPC light and loss of power again, also fixed on restart. Next day same thing, took it into the dealership expecting waste-gate issues without any scanning on my part.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I didn't have a VCDS at the time. I had an EPC light and loss of power (fixed on restart) the day I bought the car (39k on it), and then it was fine for months.

About 6 months in I again saw an EPC light and loss of power again, also fixed on restart. Next day same thing, took it into the dealership expecting waste-gate issues without any scanning on my part.

And what was the problem?

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I'm at 102k miles in a 2015 car, JB4 from 79k - 99k, EQT stage 2 since 99k, still on original IS20. I recently noticed a bit of oil in the TIP and showed this picture to my mechanic who said it likely meant the seals in the turbo were starting to go, but that I shouldn't worry about it and that if/when it does go it won't blow the engine. I'm hoping he's correct about that. I've no desire to move to a bigger turbo, unless there's something out there that can deliver the same low-end torque and quick spool, so I guess I'll be replacing with it with another one the same when it goes but I haven't really started thinking about it yet...

Attachments

• IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 184

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
@Boje
I think all you are seeing is residual buildup from the PCV recirculation. The entire system diagram I believe was improved on the 18’. Higher grade oil will find its way there because it doesn’t flow as quckly.
But like Diggs stated, send it....

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I have 86k with a jb4 tune for the last 30k - recently I have been getting EPC codes regularly ( resets immediately after restart) for turbo boost - can't find a leak - but am still investigating the cause.. hope it is not starting to go.
I have the same issues when it is over 85 outside. Especially if the AC is running. Think it is a heat issue. Seen other threads people mentioned to turn down boost.

JTM65

Passed Driver's Ed
92k on the car (2015 Golf TSI) with around 60k of that on the IS20 upgrade with APR tune. Had the wastegate actuator spring go out a few k miles after the original install, no issues since. In bad need of an intake valve decarb, that is on the list after I get the oil analysis back. Not putting the next $ in it until I confirm it is still in good shape.

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Still running old faithful nearly 4 years and 80k later and running like a top. I will surely replace with another IS20 when the time comes. Stage 2 is plenty of fun for me and keeps things fun for a back road romp or small track (auto-x king lol).

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Yes sir! It never skipped a beat

Liquid moly every 7,500 miles and no pulls till the oil temp is 180*F, really the whole car has been flawless
All these things need is a smfw and a stg 2 tune and its prereqs and they’re fun for ages.

I keep hearing how people aren’t putting miles on their cars lately but I’ve been putting more on with the open roads and longer breaks. Finding new routes with no lights, hidden twisties and abandoned lots to experiment with.

My car and I have been best of friends over the past year.