GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 maxed out?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I gained a few ponies when I upgraded my IC pipes and exhaust, I think it was around 18-20whp. Other than that, you are kinda done like me until you go bigger turbo. Unless you want to add meth or stack a JB4 ?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I gained a few ponies when I upgraded my IC pipes and exhaust, I think it was around 18-20whp. Other than that, you are kinda done like me until you go bigger turbo. Unless you want to add meth or stack a JB4 ?
You didn't gain that much from that.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Ya I'm not sure you gained 20whp from upgraded charge pipes and catback exhaust on IS20. Especially on a Unitronic ''canned'' tune where nothing can be altered.

Also, 333whp / 379wtq on pump gas from the Uni stg2 tune?!

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Ya I'm not sure you gained 20whp from upgraded charge pipes and catback exhaust on IS20. Especially on a Unitronic ''canned'' tune where nothing can be altered.

Also, 333whp / 379wtq on pump gas from the Uni stg2 tune?!
That is correct, 5 pulls at 95 degree temp outside, those numbers were the last run. Everyone hates on the Unitronic tune but that is ok. I have gapped plenty of Cobb tuned cars and other tunes with same mods, but I also keep the car in the powerband lol. Dyno was on 93 octane and 2 enormous fans blowing on the front.

dyno.PNG

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
That is correct, 5 pulls at 95 degree temp outside, those numbers were the last run. Everyone hates on the Unitronic tune but that is ok. I have gapped plenty of Cobb tuned cars and other tunes with same mods, but I also keep the car in the powerband lol. Dyno was on 93 octane and 2 enormous fans blowing on the front.

View attachment 240396
Not saying it's not possible. Clearly your dyno sheet shows it! Unfortunately those numbers don't mean much without a baseline. Also, IS20 cars usually have peak TQ around 3500-3700rpm and then it starts dropping off.

How did you determine that the charge pipes / catback exhaust made a 20whp gain?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Not saying it's not possible. Clearly your dyno sheet shows it! Unfortunately those numbers don't mean much without a baseline. Also, IS20 cars usually have peak TQ around 3500-3700rpm and then it starts dropping off.

How did you determine that the charge pipes / catback exhaust made a 20whp gain?
Had the car re-dyno'd. Guy is a friend of mine and is the local dyno in the area. I get pulls whenever I want.

loudspl

Car(s)
GLI, GTI, TDI
If you absolutely have to stay with the small IS20 you could add port injection, a better LPFP, have your tuner adjust fuel maps....and run a small nozzle for nitrous.
With nitrous, you'll have to watch out for overspeeding the turbo. With a maxed out compressor, you'll get turbine overspeed.
Your tuner can help with some of that but IMO nitrous and fuel changes are the only ways to get more out of that IS20.
Downsides? Nitrous refills ($$) and possibly shorter IS20 life

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
just save money for a bigger/ better turbo. IS20 can only go so far. your at the point where your going to spend a lot just to buff an is20, might as well spend that money on a hybrid instead of meth/ nitrous setup