GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 maxed out?

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
* not looking to upgrade the turbo right now *

Wondering what else could be done to potentially gain a bit more power. I'm fully aware the IS20 is a tiny turbo.
I'm currently FBO (intake, inlet, IC, catless DP, HPFP, ECU & TCU tuned). I daily drive on 94oct and use full E85 for track days / mexico runs.

charge pipes are still stock and the catback is still stock (other than res delete). Not sure if these are really worth changing with IS20 tho..

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Meth is about all I can think of to help

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Meth is about all I can think of to help
Ya I thought about this. It would most likely help when dailying 94oct pump gas since I could push more boost / timing without it knocking.

From the people that I talked to, apparently most kits out there aren't very reliable (AEM V3, Snow Meth, etc...)
weight reduction, haldex controller, lightweight brake and wheel components
I believe sporty MK7 in his new A3 is running an 11.60
Ya weight reduction would help. Need the backseats for daily driving tho. May look into new lighter wheels (help with rotational mass).
Yes, Kyle (sportmk7) is running 11.60 but he's weight reduction while using lightweight beadlock wheels and super sticky tires.

Last edited:

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
I recall someone from EQT mentioning that an IS20 is practically spinning on bust on an E85 tune, so the reliability of the turbo may take a dive if you opt for even more boost on meth. It really does seem like you're into diminishing returns...

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
IS38. Or cheap Vortex.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Oh damn son. How are you liking it?
I’m about to find out, tomorrow I should receive my Baun Dp, Ic and turbo are ready to go… oh yeah and I need a clutch …. Lol

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I think he already has that littco is38x.
Ya I sold the littco is38x. Needed the money at the time.

More like had… unless he want it back.
Nope! It’s all yours!

Ya this makes no sense. Bunch of is20 fbo on e85 making 340-350whp / 400-420wtq which are daily driven. If anything, the e85 cools cylinder pressure and far superior for longevity than pump gas. Boost stays the same from pump gas to e85 (normally). You’re basically adding a lot more timing.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
🙃hmm.
I only see like a psi more full boost from the 93 tune pre-HPFP. I mean the power band is longer, but I haven’t heard anything about reliability? I mean tbh, is20’s didn’t really have the best reputation earlier in life, right? Maybe that’s it?
that's what I'm saying.....not sure how it's an additive for an early grave, but if so.....FCPEuro....