GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 + JB4 & Warranty

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Cool, that's promising! Out of curiosity have you had many issues with your car?

I'm so on edge with my new vehicle as they really didn't seem to inspect it much. Backwards mounted wiper, unbalanced wheels/tires, and timing cover crank pulley shit it's in for now don't leave me with a ton of confidence 😬 .

Only has 24k on the clock, dealer has me wondering if they ever changed the oil, or fluids.
The dealer that you're counting on to warranty aftermarket turbos and performance parts has you wondering if they ever changed the oil or fluids in 25K miles? Good luck.

zwalk

Go Kart Champion
The dealer that you're counting on to warranty aftermarket turbos and performance parts has you wondering if they ever changed the oil or fluids in 25K miles? Good luck.
Definitely not. I will never go back there. I drove out of town to get the car. I also never said anything about warrantying an aftermarket turbo. You're using a straw man argument here. Warranty work was in reference to common failures being covered such as fuel pump, water pump, thermostat as they go out on these cars sometimes etc.

Thanks for the insight.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Definitely not. I will never go back there. I drove out of town to get the car. I also never said anything about warrantying an aftermarket turbo. You're using a straw man argument here. Warranty work was in reference to common failures being covered such as fuel pump, water pump, thermostat as they go out on these cars sometimes etc.

Thanks for the insight.
I shouldn't have said aftermarket. I meant a non stock turbo like the IS20. Sorry for wrong terminology.

zwalk

Go Kart Champion
I shouldn't have said aftermarket. I meant a non stock turbo like the IS20. Sorry for wrong terminology.
Regardless I'm never going to be like "Hey my friend I blew my is20 please replace it" ~maybe on a GTi 😂

I get your meaning though. Just don't want to throw warranty work in the garbage if it is warranty work that wouldnt be invited by modification. But I understand there's no way to know the outcome in advance.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Cool, that's promising! Out of curiosity have you had many issues with your car?

I'm so on edge with my new vehicle as they really didn't seem to inspect it much. Backwards mounted wiper, unbalanced wheels/tires, and timing cover crank pulley shit it's in for now don't leave me with a ton of confidence 😬 .

Only has 24k on the clock, dealer has me wondering if they ever changed the oil, or fluids.
No significant issues worth noting in ~3 years/70k miles. Tuned since 3K miles. IS20 for a year. IS38 for a year. Tracked. Dragged. Hundreds of launches. Generally drive it hard but not stupid plus it's been anal-retentively maintained. This seems to be the norm for these cars based on the forums and FB groups. I would clearly get all your issues sorted first under warranty to make sure the car is solid before touching any power mods and to reduce your financial risk. I know you've posted a lot in the FB group and gotten similar info/results.

zwalk

Go Kart Champion
No significant issues worth noting in ~3 years/70k miles. Tuned since 3K miles. IS20 for a year. IS38 for a year. Tracked. Dragged. Hundreds of launches. Generally drive it hard but not stupid plus it's been anal-retentively maintained. This seems to be the norm for these cars based on the forums and FB groups. I would clearly get all your issues sorted first under warranty to make sure the car is solid before touching any power mods and to reduce your financial risk. I know you've posted a lot in the FB group and gotten similar info/results.
Yeah I have. I have the 'anal retentive' thing going on too. I like to collect a lot of information before I make decisions, but I'm aware it doesn't make the decisions any safer really. Just logical fallacy. Appreciate the insight on your repairs. Hoping after this warranty work is done I'll have a better idea of risk I'm willing to assume. Figure I'll drive it a few months and see if anything crops up.

Thanks for humoring me