GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Jammed Wastegate?

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Hello,
A few days ago I got an EPC light and lost what felt like all use of the turbo. I pulled over, shut down the car and turned back on which cleared the light. I assumed it was a misfire or bad batch of gas.
Now today I scanned it with OBDEleven and got some of the actuator info. It looks like when idle my position is stuck around 7.3% and my voltage is 2.6v, from what I’ve seen on similar threads both seem out of spec. At this time I did not have an EPC light. (Please ignore time stamp, I had made the mistake of no screenshooting the first time but values are almost identical.)

D65D8EFD-1AC5-453E-8BEF-E5DA4036688A.png

I then pulled out of my driveway to do a test drive around the block and monitor voltage and position. I almost immediately got an EPC light and pulled over. I got the following values.
34A04A69-AFB4-4D44-9A97-4004061AAA3D.png

Now ive got a couple questions: does this mean my wastegate is seized? If it is a bad actuator instead of a seizure would it be possible to swap the the actuator from my stock IS12 onto the IS20? I don’t entirely understand the relationship between voltage and position and am looking for some info or ideas. My mechanical abilities only really go as far as regular maintenance and I will be setting up an appointment with my local shop anyway.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Have you been using the IS20 or is this right after the swap?

An EPC light can be tricky to figure out the cause.

https://mechanicbase.com/engine/epc-light/
I’ve been using it for just about 10k miles. I got these codes during my scan yesterday, I ’m sure these would have been more helpful in the original post.

I’m not looking for an online diagnosis or anything, I know that’s near impossible. Just some possible ideas so I can have a little more knowledge in the head and some more stuff to look at before the car goes to the shop.

Attachments

• 8BB023F8-C4EF-4053-ADA9-A9E486529D93.png
    8BB023F8-C4EF-4053-ADA9-A9E486529D93.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 83

yayareagti

Passed Driver's Ed
I upgraded to a is20 and I used the wastegate actuator from my is12. Worked fine for around 20k miles. Yesterday got p00af code and p0299 code. My issue is when I went to check the wastegate rod with engine on or key position 2. I could move it freely. I guess you can try and see if you can move the rod with key on position 2. I don't remember if we need engine on or not for the actuator to engage.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
I upgraded to a is20 and I used the wastegate actuator from my is12. Worked fine for around 20k miles. Yesterday got p00af code and p0299 code. My issue is when I went to check the wastegate rod with engine on or key position 2. I could move it freely. I guess you can try and see if you can move the rod with key on position 2. I don't remember if we need engine on or not for the actuator to engage.
How did you fix this? Did you just tighten a nut or did you have it adjusted at a shop?

yayareagti

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess I wasn't clear in my posting. I was thinking about something else. My issue is I believe the wastegate actuator has broke. My nut still on there tight. I was able to move the rod back and forth to open the flap with the engine on and ignition switch to position 2. The worst part is it happened 170 miles from my destination and now I'm 340 miles from socal. LoL.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
I guess I wasn't clear in my posting. I was thinking about something else. My issue is I believe the wastegate actuator has broke. My nut still on there tight. I was able to move the rod back and forth to open the flap with the engine on and ignition switch to position 2. The worst part is it happened 170 miles from my destination and now I'm 340 miles from socal. LoL.
Ahh okok. My car is getting to the shop this afternoon and I'll update this thread with whatever information they give me so maybe it can be used as another reference thread in the future.

Father Seth

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 Golf TSI
Shop told me the actuator was dead, which I was one of two things I thought it could be (Wastegate seized by corrosion or Actuator being fried). Ordering a new unit and having it replaced. Simple enough, but I'll still add an update if anything else comes up. Seems to be a done deal though.

I guess to compact this issue for others who may have it in the future here are a couple big signs that there is something wrong with the actuator:
Codes:
P00AF00 and/or P334A00 (Seems there many be some other associated codes from other members, but these are what periodically appeared on mine)
OBD11 or VCDS:
Charge Pressure Actuator, Acknowledged voltage should be in the generally accepted area (Near 3.5v) mine was in the mid to low 2.X voltage.
Charge Pressure Actuator, Specified Position if it's stuck at 95% and you have no boost then it's running in an emergency mode and staying open so that you don't overboost your engine to oblivion.