GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Here it is chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://documents.goapr.com/tl100142_mqb_dropin_turbo_web.pdf
But when I installed my Apr turbo I still used your guide.
Thanks. So it seems like APR removed the Audi guide and replaced it with their own.

Stockasfmk7

Car(s)
MK7 1.8t TSI
Probably a Stupid question but gonna ask anyways, my is12 just went bye bye and there isn’t any for sale near me or for cheap but there’s plenty of is20s near me under 200$. I’m currently stage 1 by unitronic and was wondering if I could run that with an is20 and get the stage 2 is20 tune later on

Last edited:

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
Probably a Stupid question but gonna ask anyways, my is12 just went bye bye and there isn’t any for sale near me or for cheap but there’s plenty of is20s near me under 200$. I’m currently stage 1 by unitronic and was wondering if I could run that with an is20 and get the stage 2 is20 tune later on
Should be fine to drive gently, but out of an abundance of caution I'd stay out of boost until it's re-tuned. IIRC though, before APR's 1.8T IS20 tunes were released in January 2018, people would run stage 1 + JB4 with the IS20 as there was no other choice.

You'd have to check some pre-2018 posts about the IS20 swap for more info

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, it should be fine.

Stockasfmk7

Car(s)
MK7 1.8t TSI
Should be fine to drive gently, but out of an abundance of caution I'd stay out of boost until it's re-tuned. IIRC though, before APR's 1.8T IS20 tunes were released in January 2018, people would run stage 1 + JB4 with the IS20 as there was no other choice.

You'd have to check some pre-2018 posts about the IS20 swap for more info
Thanks for the info! I think I’m just gonna search a little more and get another IS12. I wouldn’t be able to get a new tune and other upgrades needed for more than a couple months. I also wouldn’t be able to stay out of boost 😂I’d forget and end up flooring it.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I... do have one sitting in my garage. I've already taken the wastegate and diverter valve off of it, but you can re-use your current ones.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
You don’t need a “tune” for it. I was jb4 and is38 for the longest time.

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
I also happen to have one in my garage with ~50k on it, w/ wastegate still mounted and w/o DV. Not sure how much these things cost to ship across the country though. There are probably some east coast people with IS12s sitting around that'd be cheaper for ya

Stockasfmk7

Car(s)
MK7 1.8t TSI
Email I received from Unitronic and thanks everyone for the responses and offers! I think I found a good one on fb marketplace has 28k miles just waiting for the guy to respond about shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_3984.jpeg
    IMG_3984.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 54

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, they're obligated to say that due to liability reasons. If it were me I would go IS20 and get the software upgrade just for the power though lol.

armedferret

Ready to race!
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the bolt that holds the oil feed line on top of the turbo, and also provides a stud for the heat shield? For those with the FSM it's numbers 11 and 12, page 256 of the "Engine Mechanical Fuel Injection and Ignition" chapter. No part numbers are listed :(

mine seems to have disappeared (and it was pretty corroded already so not a HUGE loss....but parts.vw.com doesn't even show it on the diagrams)

Fried_Soap

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf TSI 5MT
Does anyone happen to have the part number for the bolt that holds the oil feed line on top of the turbo, and also provides a stud for the heat shield? For those with the FSM it's numbers 11 and 12, page 256 of the "Engine Mechanical Fuel Injection and Ignition" chapter. No part numbers are listed :(

mine seems to have disappeared (and it was pretty corroded already so not a HUGE loss....but parts.vw.com doesn't even show it on the diagrams)

I think I've found the part you're describing. If you want to check other parts, try this site, click "CarProg2", and navigate to this section:
1693197392438.png

Anyway, here's what I found:

1693197174733.png

1693197214166.png

1693197145152.png

armedferret

Ready to race!
Well as an update while I wait for my stud and nut to arrive, this is going to be an unbelievably involved process considering the oil and water lines that are in the way of adjusting the rod. With the button pushed to turn the car on but not started, it's showing 4.6 volts and doesn't change regardless of whether I screw it in or out. Since I can't start the car, but have to have all those lines hooked up and in the way in order to do so, it's going to easily be a 2-3 hour job just to adjust it once.
so glad i get to spend another 2 weeks messing around with it. :\