GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So, i have a spark plug question.

Did the is20 upgrade and got the appropriate APR tune (stage 3)

I got the RS7 plugs for this, but i also read about gapping to 0.024, but then saw that was for the OEM plugs. I gapped the RS7 pugs to 0.024 and then questioned whether that gapping only applies to the OEM plug or whether thats the RS7 too?

Shouldn't hurt to gap them down to 0.024. When I had my APR tune, I did run the RS7s at the factory gapping of .026 with no issues.

semys_golf

Car(s)
vw golf mk7 1.8 tsi
Hi, recently did the is20 swap on my 1.8tsi using a used turbo with 30k on it. Running and using a jb4 to do logs on the bypass map 0. Was getting an under boost engine code and EPC light when doing a pull on a higher gear, log on second gear below.
Did the first adaption till it passed the test and had a voltage of 3.5v, then I Smoked tested it at the mechanic, no leaks.
Checked the wastegate and it looks like it is working fine and actuating all the way open and close.

Any thoughts on what I can do to diagnose this boost error.

https://datazap.me/u/vwgolf/map-0-is20?log=0&data=1-4-11-15-18-25

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
some questions for the experts:

a. on the hot side, my uninstalled turbo wastegate has a metal ring with slight play in it. makes a tiny rattle when moved (see pic). Normal?

b. would removing the subframe make the.turbo install easier in a meaningful.way?

Reason I ask is I have an S3 subframe waiting for install and I'm wondering if doing both the turbo and the subframe at the same.time, if it helps with the turbo.

c. Thinking of sending turbo off to.gpop for ceramic coating. Is there anything else worth doing, such as polish / port or better bearings or other?

thanks alot, great thread

Attachments

• PXL_20210601_111246410.jpg
    PXL_20210601_111246410.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 119

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think hybrid IS20 is the only thing worth doing involving sending your turbo out to be worked on (I think most places do it core charge style, but same difference) if you were to do anything, though idk how expensive it is compared to getting an IS38, and at that point it's getting a different setup.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
I think hybrid IS20 is the only thing worth doing involving sending your turbo out to be worked on (I think most places do it core charge style, but same difference) if you were to do anything, though idk how expensive it is compared to getting an IS38, and at that point it's getting a different setup.
thanks. I'm not in a rush so was thinking ceramic coating. But then thought I should ask about 'other' as a shop may try up-selling. Figured you guys would have a broader and objective perspective.

Maybe I'll just get on with it and install a blanket instead of coating.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Just finished this and I gotta say I didn't expect the difference in shift points and boost variables. I guess I just got to get used to it, I also added a BOV. I might remove it later

Attachments

• 20210605_180238.jpg
    20210605_180238.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 143
  • 20210605_131550.jpg
    20210605_131550.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 135

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Just finished this and I gotta say I didn't expect the difference in shift points and boost variables. I guess I just got to get used to it
can you elaborate on this?

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
can you elaborate on this?
Of course I went with the unitronic issue stage 2 tune and 2ng gear in drive mode shifts early regardless of heavy power load or crusing. The highest it has gotten was in sport at 3500rpms.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
F. Lmk if you find one and I'll update the link.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
F. Lmk if you find one and I'll update the link.
Here it is chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://documents.goapr.com/tl100142_mqb_dropin_turbo_web.pdf
But when I installed my Apr turbo I still used your guide.