GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
It was a lot of elbow grease and going at it with increasingly large flathead screwdrivers from the bottom for me with that oil line. Having done the job twice now, that line is absolutely the worst part of the install.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Got it guys! Thanks for all the help. TPC20 and HPA HPFP are in. No CEL or leaks. Car is running strong. Tuning session is Thursday.

But yeah that oil line is a fucking bitch. Two people really help speed things up. One person can do it but you waste a lot of time fighting shit in the way. Getting that oil outlet line off is the second hardest part of the job. The hardest part of the job is getting the bolt back in for it. We used a bunch of extensions and were able to get it in from all the way under the car. The extension went through a hole in the subframe and all the way straight up to the bottom of the turbo. I shit you not the extension was like 2 feet long lol. Def would have been easier to get the lines off the block but we didn't want to fuck around with the slip fittings and exhaust.

NicoCordero

Question, i am in the middle of installing a used IS20 in my vw 1.8 Golf. I have OBDELEVEN and need to know what is the value for the wastegate voltage setting i need it to be. I would assume it would be with ignition on without the engine running.thanks

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
Used this guide to swap my dbv2 this weekend. Thanks for the write up it made a lot of things easier (like finding the oil feed line on the block since I couldn't see a thing).

Ready to prime the turbo, calibrate the wastegate, and burp the coolant system. Hopefully I have some time this afternoon.

Dnice1

Just completed this on my alltrack today!
With a second set of hands it took 5 hours to complete.
To confirm above, the oil line on the bottom is def the worst part of this swap, otherwise not too bad! Only had to loosen the lower support bracket of downpipe to get the job done. No need to take off completely.

Stage 1 tune to come this week :D.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Nice! Make sure to get an IS20 tune, not a stage 1 tune though. I'm not sure which company you're going with, but from APR they're the same price.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Always happy to hear of another 1.8 joining the bigger turbo club.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
Anyone know the weight difference between is12 and is20?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
They're almost identical. I don't know the exact number, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was under 1lb difference.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
thank you

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Thank you @MeltedSolid for the write up, along with all other contributors. It was smooth sailing up to the coolant return. I spent nearly an hour trying to get some sort of play finally called it a night with a few mm left right movement. Gave it a bath of wd40 and slept on it. This morning tackled it again and finally got enough play to get a screwdriver behind it and help it on its way. Oil line was easy, just pulled the turbo off the studs and it popped right out.
On to new horizons!
2C33CE18-11C2-40FC-8471-DDB1667FC01D.jpeg
D78A489E-37A7-4C0F-B320-8AC69908F602.jpeg

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thank you @MeltedSolid for the write up, along with all other contributors. It was smooth sailing up to the coolant return. I spent nearly an hour trying to get some sort of play finally called it a night with a few mm left right movement. Gave it a bath of wd40 and slept on it. This morning tackled it again and finally got enough play to get a screwdriver behind it and help it on its way. Oil line was easy, just pulled the turbo off the studs and it popped right out.
On to new horizons!
View attachment 177439View attachment 177440

what are you doing with the intake manifold?

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Swapping it for a Euro manifold.

Teo1.8t

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anybody know what to set the wastegate voltage at when swapping all the hardware from the is12 to is20