Votes: 9 90.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Please remember that the OP has a 1.4lt TSI...& the JB4 module for this is different to the JB4 module for the other engines...& it DOES LESS...& only has two engine connectors..(G31 Charge pressure sender just before the throttle flap, & G71 Intake manifold pressure sender in the intake manifold).....the JB4 module for the 1.8lt EA888 gen3 & gen3b have more wire connectors...& thus can do more..

I have earlier quoted direct from George about its limitations & that it cannot alter the timing for fuel octane...unlike a revo or similar stage 1 tune....the OP is in Sweden & they can get the same super unleaded 98 to 100RON fuels as we have in the UK....& this makes a huge difference to the 1.4lt engine without adding loads of boost.

FYI....the EA211 1.4lt engine is factory mapped for 95RON, but will also take on 91RON...so states 91/95RON on the sticker....the 2lt GTI/R over here are mapped for 98RON & can run on 95RON so state 95/98RON...

Last edited:

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
The real test is that nobody has ever posted on GolfMk7 saying that they removed their JB1/4 before bringing it in for warranty work and was STILL denied on the grounds of VW TD1’ing the car. If it had happened we’d know about it. There isn’t a single documented instance of it going back to 2015/2016 when the JB1 came out.

pretty strong evidence, considering how many people post they are tuned/TD1’d and had to pay for a warranty item.
Doesn't mean they can't detect it. They absolutely can. The difference is the method used to detect piggyback isn't foolproof, as in the logs being messed up might be due to piggy back, or it might be due to whatever issue its being brought in-for, thus warranty won't be denied unless it is absolutely obvious its due to abuse. Tunes on the other-hand are straightforward to detect (there's no doubt), but even then warrenty isn't voided, just taken on case-by-case basis.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
If lack of empirical data showing 'no warranties denied' is solid evidence that VAG can't detect:

Why doesn't BMS claim it can't be detected on their website for the VAG product? If the claim is true, why wouldn't the.party with the most to gain advertise it?

Y'all believe whatever you want

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If lack of empirical data showing 'no warranties denied' is solid evidence that VAG can't detect:

Why doesn't BMS claim it can't be detected on their website for the VAG product? If the claim is true, why wouldn't the.party with the most to gain advertise it?

Y'all believe whatever you want
BMS likely doesn't mention it because of legal liability claims. The EPA wouldn't be very happy with them if they did.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
BMS likely doesn't mention it because of legal liability claims. The EPA wouldn't be very happy with them if they did.

actually I’d bet VW/Audi group’s powerful legal council poses a greater threat to a company advertising a product that is designed to defraud them.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
How is it defrauding them?

it’s a piggyback. The only reason people buy piggybacks over a tune is to avoid messing with the ECU for warranty purposes. They got their game started with BMW since Bimmers are so expensive to fix that people who wanted to mod them didn’t want to pay for the repairs, in comes JB4, removable, “undetectable” power.

Alyzzer

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.4 tsi GT
Hello again,

This thread has gotten very long indeed hehe.
I have still not done anything to my car, just drove my miata all summer instead which I have now sold. Which makes this interesting again.

Can I ask you all about the flash tunes. I see so many. Any tune that could be taken off like jb4 if I want to sell it for example or do I always have to go flash it again?
unitronic apr revo and the list goes on.
Are they any different from each other or are they the same, which is best for EU cars?

Planning on buying an air filter and a downpipe aswell, do you have any tips? Do additional mods have an impact on this car? I think the market is super scarce for everything, cant just a site have dp, air filter, "sport" brakes etc for these cars.

Anyone with a nice 190 hp stable setup that can post their experience and where they got everything?

BR

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
circa 190bhp....& 312nm....Revo stage 1 with fuel map "B"..for super unleaded 98RON....

ITG drop in air filer & GTE slam panel mod...& top grade fully synthetic Castrol 0w40 oil to the VW spec for my CHPA engine..

Car basically performs as it should & could have done from the factory....

as for brakes...312mm front conversion (GTD/GTI spec)....

loads of info in my build & how to guides...links in my signature...

Alyzzer

Car(s)
Golf 7 1.4 tsi GT
The gte mod is simply a air filter mod that allows the box to receive more air?

but why revo? Seems like unitronic and arp are easier since u can do it yourself and flash it back to stock if you want?

but i guess flashing is better than jb4 and racechip for example.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The gte mod is simply a air filter mod that allows the box to receive more air?

but why revo? Seems like unitronic and arp are easier since u can do it yourself and flash it back to stock if you want?

but i guess flashing is better than jb4 and racechip for example.

Revo for me as easier to get.....

mortys

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf 1.4TSI
New to this place, but though I could share my experience.
I was evaluating Revo tune for a while, but opted for MTM tune as they can provide TÜV papers with tune.

With TÜV papers, it's actually possible to get modifications approved here in Norway. So I had appointment yesterday with Norways' "DMV" and got the increased HP registered and I can now drive around completely legal. (car is out of warranty long time ago, so stealer won't bother me)
I fitted K&N panel filter and the car feels great to drive, it got the little extra power needed :)

Officially the tune is 180hp, but there is rolling road tests were numbers around 199hp is seen.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
New to this place, but though I could share my experience.
I was evaluating Revo tune for a while, but opted for MTM tune as they can provide TÜV papers with tune.

With TÜV papers, it's actually possible to get modifications approved here in Norway. So I had appointment yesterday with Norways' "DMV" and got the increased HP registered and I can now drive around completely legal. (car is out of warranty long time ago, so stealer won't bother me)
I fitted K&N panel filter and the car feels great to drive, it got the little extra power needed :)

Officially the tune is 180hp, but there is rolling road tests were numbers around 199hp is seen.

Obviously legal requirements are different in every country......TUV papers are not required in UK, ...you can do anything to your car so long as it passes the yearly MOT....older cars (over 40yrs I think) don't require MOT...

Insurance is ok, just depends on the company you use...mine charge me a bit more for the modifications...some chage a lot more!

MTM is a bit difficult to get over here....I had looked at ABT back in 2014 but nobody had cracked the ECU then so it was £1,500 for a piggyback box & warranty on the engine..

mortys

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf 1.4TSI
Yeah, you're lucky with only the MOT :LOL:
We pay tax by CO emissions when car is new and we need to document to the big guys that emissions are the same (or what it's changed to and pay tax accordingly)

Otherwise I would opt for Revo (I had Revo stage 2 on a Golf R I had few years back)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Yeah, you're lucky with only the MOT :LOL:
We pay tax by CO emissions when car is new and we need to document to the big guys that emissions are the same (or what it's changed to and pay tax accordingly)

Otherwise I would opt for Revo (I had Revo stage 2 on a Golf R I had few years back)

We still pay road tax based on CO emissions when the car was new from the factory ...just that in the MOT (first is when the car is 3yrs old) the car is not tested against those...but a specified "general" level...