GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this Turbo Inlet Pipe defective?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
That's fine. Definitely not rewelded or anything like that. It's just part of the casting process. The part inside aren't chipping away either. It's from the machining process. The fitting itself is a press fit.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
But do they all look like that I.e. Is that normal?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I remember getting a Milltek exhaust for my Cooper-S long time ago and questioning about their welds because it looked like a 5yr old did it for the first time.. LOL but it was considered 'normal' in UK-land.. yikes.

Never know..

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I got mine for free which is the only way you’ll achieve a good HP per dollar return on a inlet.

With that said they just did a sloppy job deburring that hole, it’s not pretty but its a cast part from overseas so you get what you get.

ECS turbo inlet elbow $80, 5-10 whp. $8-$16/WHP from the dyno below.

Baun IC $725. To equal $8-$16/WHP needs to deliver 45-90WHP.

Inlet elbow doesn't seem like a bad $/HP proposition.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Most of those HP gain numbers are best case scenario. But you are still correct that in the amount of HP you gain it comparion its a good value.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
ECS turbo inlet elbow $80, 5-10 whp. $8-$16/WHP from the dyno below.

Baun IC $725. To equal $8-$16/WHP needs to deliver 45-90WHP.

Inlet elbow doesn't seem like a bad $/HP proposition.

So get the TIP for $80 and gain 10 HP and when the ambient temperature is above 90 degrees lose 80 HP because you didn't get an IC. You can't compare the cost of a TIP to the cost of an IC.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So get the TIP for $80 and gain 10 HP and when the ambient temperature is above 90 degrees lose 80 HP because you didn't get an IC. You can't compare the cost of a TIP to the cost of an IC.

Exactly. Paul in Hawaii ran apples to apples before and after dyno pulls EQT stage 2 91 octane and gained 21whp peak and 67whp at redline with just the FMIC.

Heat soak pulls massive timing and thus massive power. If he had attempted to “Doctor” those dyno pulls in my favor at all the spread would probably double between stock and FMIC.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

I never said don't buy an IC. I was responding to the statement about HP per dollar return. In terms of $ spent for HP gain the inlet elbow works out to be about the same, or better, $ / HP versus a 700-900 IC.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I never said don't buy an IC. I was responding to the statement about HP per dollar return. In terms of $ spent for HP gain the inlet elbow works out to be about the same, or better, $ / HP versus a 700-900 IC.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Without the IC you won't get the 8- 10 HP gain from the TIP if it's too warm out.

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Without the IC you won't get the 8- 10 HP gain from the TIP if it's too warm out.

I don't get the connection you're making between improving airflow before the turbo depending on an upgraded IC for improved cooling.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't get the connection you're making between improving airflow before the turbo depending on an upgraded IC for improved cooling.
The connection is if your IATs are too high you will make less power. A TIP just isn't significant compared to an IC. Granted an IC is way more expensive but an IC will help you maintain far more power then you'll gain from a TIP. I'm not saying don't get a TIP just that the IC is far more important.