GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this normal?

leftfoot

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
I recently noticed a weird clicking sound from the front wheels of my GTI when I back it out of my garage. The noise occurs just as the front tires drop off the ledge of the garage. Is this normal? Do I maybe have a wheel bearing or CV Joint issue? Please see the attached videos.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Maybe it’s the garage.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Skid tray missing a screw and its flapping :unsure:

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Thats the kind of sound that would make me jack the car up and find it asap...

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
manual car? sounds gear related. Sorta like when the subframe would flex after coming over the garage floor bump.

DSG gets this when in 1st gear and moving fwd. Little grinds

leftfoot

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
manual car? sounds gear related. Sorta like when the subframe would flex after coming over the garage floor bump.

DSG gets this when in 1st gear and moving fwd. Little grinds
Thanks, for the reply. Are saying this is a normal sound for a DSG?
I did some research into DSG Transmissions it sounds like I might have a Flywheel issue. I put the GTI on jack stands this afternoon and was able to reproduce the noise by simply rotating the front wheels forward and backwards. I am pretty confident that the noise is coming from the gearbox, and not from the wheels, joints, suspension, etc.
Also, whenever I rotate the wheels either forwards or backwards and then change the direction of the rotation, there appears to be a lot of play before resistance can be felt from the gearbox again. I am not sure how much play (if any) is considered normal.

I posted another video below.

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't think it really has to do with wheel rotation. Seems like dropping off the garage ledge caused it pretty directly. And that's a relatively small bump for how much noise it made. Something is pretty loose under there. I think you'll need a lift or jack it up as high as you safely can and get underneath. I can't tell from the audio - does it sound metallic or plastic? Any noises while driving/shifting/braking on smooth roads?

Just watched the second video - I'd take that wheel off and inspect the CV axle. Grab it and see if you can replicate the noise. I bet some of your axle bolts are loose or the joint failed in the boot.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You are getting the wheels to spin in the air like that by hand with the car in Neutral, right? Then the flywheel wouldn't be moving with the rest of the gearbox....

It sounds to me like the CV axle as well... or possibly the brake pads/caliper? Or the disc/hub....? Something is loose there....

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Watched vid. Holy crap. Don’t drive dude. Check axle nut torque.
If the differential is dying it probably won't make noise going straight back.

2 cars where I know the differential was dying you'd hear it when slow speed turning. Like, pulling out of a parking lot you hear thud-thud-thud in time with the wheel turning.

leftfoot

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
I had someone say this could be a Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) or maybe Clutchpack issue, after doing some research this is what I was leaning towards.

However, someone on another forum was nice enough to jack up their 2017 GTI (Sport) and duplicate the video I previously posted where I rotate the front wheels forward and backwards. Funny enough, his GTI makes the exact same sound. To make things even more interesting, the 2017 GTI (Sport) has a completely different 6 Speed DSG from my 2019 (SE) GTI which has a 7 Speed DSG. So now I dont know what to think. Is this normal, or do we just happen to have different DSGs with the exact same issue? Everyone says that this noise is def not normal but... hmm? Is anyone else willing to tip the scales and jack up their car and verify what is normal?
I will say that I only initially heard this noise because my wife was backing the GTI out of the garage and I happened to be their at that moment. After that, naturally I became hyper-aware in listening for the noise, but normally I can't really hear the noise from inside the cab. Only a hand full of times when driving over large bumps at low speeds have I heard the noise (very faintly) from inside the cab. Under those conditions, you can hear it a bit better with the driver side window down, and if you are actively listening it for it.

I made another video capturing the noise via a different method. For this one I put the car in Drive and rev'ed the engine a few times with my left foot on the brake pedal.