GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is this normal knock?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Hello Everyone,

I've been having issues with knock lately, even after fixing my cylinder 3 misfire issue (replaced injectors and did complete valve cleaning again), but still have a lot of knock on all four cylinders. Im not that well versed in diagnosing this stuff so would appreciate any help. I have included a log with a 3rd gear pull and some in 4th gear as well.

https://datazap.me/u/nomunic/log?log=0&data=8-14

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I’m certainly not an expert but I was of the understanding that less than -3° isn’t to big of a deal. Duration is a little more than I’d like to see if this were my car. Maybe you can further mitigate with a grounding kit or clean all the contacts?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
I’m certainly not an expert but I was of the understanding that less than -3° isn’t to big of a deal. Duration is a little more than I’d like to see if this were my car. Maybe you can further mitigate with a grounding kit or clean all the contacts?
I have a grounding kit currently, I used to never get more than -.38 and -.75 occasionally. Wondering if this could be because I was tuned in the colder weather and fuel quality was a bit different?

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I have a grounding kit currently, I used to never get more than -.38 and -.75 occasionally. Wondering if this could be because I was tuned in the colder weather and fuel quality was a bit different?
Man I wish I could tell you but I don’t know if that’s correct. I don‘t think that tuning in cold would make much of a difference as it’s spark related and not temperature related. I had a custom remote tune twice with 2 different cars (in the winter) and never had any mention of temperature. Altitude is more of a factor for me, in my understanding.

Who did you tune with and are you able to have them review your logs? I was going to ask @Hoon to have a look but I don’t think he’s here much anymore (?).

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Man I wish I could tell you but I don’t know if that’s correct. I don‘t think that tuning in cold would make much of a difference as it’s spark related and not temperature related. I had a custom remote tune twice with 2 different cars (in the winter) and never had any mention of temperature. Altitude is more of a factor for me, in my understanding.

Who did you tune with and are you able to have them review your logs? I was going to ask @Hoon to have a look but I don’t think he’s here much anymore (?).
Yea I’ll try to reach out to Matt at EQT. I am certain it’s not gonna be related to parts or anything, I’ve also tried different fuels with no change. Car drives fairly well and I don’t have too many miles on this setup for it to really start breaking 😂

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
so it's not super high, but it's definitely consistent....My EQT tune usually is anywhere between .75-1.88......how's your fuel? run it out and hit up a different station for top tier 93 and see if it persists.

Edit: see you've changed fuels.....huh.....definitely see what EQT says. I'll relook the log

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'm assuming it was a custom tune? What was the temp difference from when you were tuning compared to now? Do you have any logs from when you were getting the tune or shortly after?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
so it's not super high, but it's definitely consistent....My EQT tune usually is anywhere between .75-1.88......how's your fuel? run it out and hit up a different station for top tier 93 and see if it persists.

Edit: see you've changed fuels.....huh.....definitely see what EQT says. I'll relook the log
Yea different fuels, octane booster, nothing has changed.

I'm assuming it was a custom tune? What was the temp difference from when you were tuning compared to now? Do you have any logs from when you were getting the tune or shortly after?

Custom tune, I think it was late fall when I finished up 40-50 degrees Vs like 70 degrees rn. I do have some logs I’ll pull up to show you

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
IAT's only look about 10 degrees apart. Rail pressure and duty cycles look good. How many miles on your spark plugs? Have you pulled those?

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
IAT's only look about 10 degrees apart. Rail pressure and duty cycles look good. How many miles on your spark plugs? Have you pulled those?
Plugs and coils are newer (only 500 miles) I replaced them thinking they might have been an issue.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I think it's the gas, I wouldn't panic. Add some octane booster or E and see what happens.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Your holding fuel pressure fine and neither pump looks stressed, AFR looks good, it's not pulling timing.

I started having the exact same thing happen with my car in the last few months. I thought it was the weather too. New plugs, grounding kit, re-flash of the tune, nothing seems to want to "fix" it. I don't have much in the way of good gas where I live, mostly off-brand stations and convenience store gas, so my assumption is also that it's shit gas but I've been getting gas at these places for the life of the car so why now?

Curious to see if you find a solution or if it's just typical VW stuff. How old is your battery? I've read that weak / dying batteries can do strange things in these cars but I suspect you would have seen other indicators if that were the case.

Tyler230

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Plugs and coils are newer (only 500 miles) I replaced them thinking they might have been an issue.
And I trust they're gapped correctly and the correct heat range? Otherwise I have no idea. Have to wait and see what Matt at EQT says, but now I'm curious so please post an update when you figure it out.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
I think it's the gas, I wouldn't panic. Add some octane booster or E and see what happens.
I’ve done some of the liqui moly jectron stuff, I’ll throw some e in it today.
Your holding fuel pressure fine and neither pump looks stressed, AFR looks good, it's not pulling timing.

I started having the exact same thing happen with my car in the last few months. I thought it was the weather too. New plugs, grounding kit, re-flash of the tune, nothing seems to want to "fix" it. I don't have much in the way of good gas where I live, mostly off-brand stations and convenience store gas, so my assumption is also that it's shit gas but I've been getting gas at these places for the life of the car so why now?

Curious to see if you find a solution or if it's just typical VW stuff. How old is your battery? I've read that weak / dying batteries can do strange things in these cars but I suspect you would have seen other indicators if that were the case.
My battery is from 2019 so it’s getting there for sure. I wouldn’t be opposed to just replacing.

And I trust they're gapped correctly and the correct heat range? Otherwise I have no idea. Have to wait and see what Matt at EQT says, but now I'm curious so please post an update when you figure it out.
Sending the logs out today, going to see what Matt says, I hate bugging the guy after so long.