GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there an OE spec, non-OEM spring available?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Since the R is approaching 70k miles, sometime later this year I'll probably replace the suspension on it. And when doing so, I'm really not interesting in changing the ride height or quality. Bilstein has the B4 Damptronic shocks, which are an OE spec replacement (without paying OEM prices), but I haven't been able to find an OE spec, non-OEM spring? The closest I've seen is the H&R OE Sports. Is there something like that that is a non-sport version, just basic OE spec? Or am I either going to have to get the OE Sports, or shell out the money for VW OEM springs?

Malttv5

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 mk7 R , 2015 Po
Might be easy to find someone who’s modified their suspension on a low k R and kept their original springs .

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
When I was looking to get rid of the H&R springs that were on my car, I ran, what I felt was the gamut, on spring options. I ended up buying a low mileage used set from someone on the Vortex. New wasn’t crazy expensive, but I didn’t see the need for brand new ones.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When I was looking to get rid of the H&R springs that were on my car, I ran, what I felt was the gamut, on spring options. I ended up buying a low mileage used set from someone on the Vortex. New wasn’t crazy expensive, but I didn’t see the need for brand new ones.

Were they the OE Sport ones? And why'd you get rid of them?

See, my thought process is kind of the exact opposite. If I'm going through the hassle of removing my suspension, I'd rather put on new springs instead of used ones :ROFLMAO:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Were they the OE Sport ones? And why'd you get rid of them?

See, my thought process is kind of the exact opposite. If I'm going through the hassle of removing my suspension, I'd rather put on new springs instead of used ones :ROFLMAO:
I’m not 100% sure. I hated the way the car rode. It was terrible.

It would bounce on any road imperfections and I was swerving to avoid larger road hazards like cigarette butts and gum wrappers. In the likely event I was going to encounter something like a dip or uneven repair, the absolute harshness that would transmit through the suspension was jarring.

The scraping was another issue. I managed to avoid most issues but there were a few I did catch.

I wasn’t a fan of the way it looked either. Yeah you eliminate the gap up top but now you have the goofy gap on the sides like a Coup DeVille.

Setting it up on a lift or driving it onto an alignment rack was a lesson in frustration as well. To me, there were zero plus sides.

I understand that idea as well. In all of the coil springed cars I have worked on I have replaced about three springs. Two for cracking, they were Fords and one for a slight sag, which wasn’t all that terrible.
Pulling these out was easy enough to do and at $70 for a set of 4, it was a no brainer.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
OP how's your ride height now?

I put 140k on a BMW three oe springs and it maintained ride height. Maybe German cars do it right?