GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a tune option that meets my needs?

againstliam

Car(s)
17' Golf R
Never tuned a car before and looking to get a stage 1 tune that I can run at the strip and then switch back to stock when not. Is this something a tune through a Cobb AP would be good for?

I have heard good things about IE, Unitronic, and EQT. Do all of these meet what I am looking for? I understand APR is more conservative which I like but not something I can switch on the fly.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I recommend (cue shocking music) EQT stage 1. The EQT OTS stage 1 is perfectly fine on the track or street, so why would you want to switch on the fly?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Never tuned a car before and looking to get a stage 1 tune that I can run at the strip and then switch back to stock when not. Is this something a tune through a Cobb AP would be good for?

I have heard good things about IE, Unitronic, and EQT. Do all of these meet what I am looking for? I understand APR is more conservative which I like but not something I can switch on the fly.
Welcome to the forum.

Yes to answer your question. Get a Cobb Access Port and a tune, I recommend EQT, and then you can flash the tune back and forth by yourself. A little bit of a hassle but at least you don't have to go to a dealer to do it.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Not surprised! I just don't need the extra most of the time so switching would be nice.
I really don't think it's worth your time to swap. It's not like all of a sudden stage 1 tune makes the car undriveable. You still have to keep your foot in to make anything happen.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
It wouldn't be a good idea to switch to a drastically different tune and then full send it down a strip would it? Doesn't the ecu need time to adapt & adjust?

Other than that, yes the ap3 would be the easiest and most convenient for switching tunes as far as I know of

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It wouldn't be a good idea to switch to a drastically different tune and then full send it down a strip would it? Doesn't the ecu need time to adapt & adjust?

Other than that, yes the ap3 would be the easiest and most convenient for switching tunes as far as I know of
Not really. I've never noticed any difference once I've run a tune for a while when the ECU had time to adapt or adjust.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Not really. I've never noticed any difference once I've run a tune for a while when the ECU had time to adapt or adjust.

With any new calibration, you're supposed to give the car ~25ish miles to relearn fuel trims before data logging. There is some benefit to letting a tune "settle," though all safety parameters remain in place regardless. You won't harm the car immediately after flashing, but some minor changes will take place during the first few miles after.

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
I would say the JB4 would be the easiest.

Plug in OBD2 connector when you want the bump in power, unplug it when you don't. You don't have to worry about flashing anything. With the newer firmwares, unplugging the OBD2 connector deactivates the JB4. (Post from George stating this)

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
JB4 will be most cost effective/easiest and you can get to ~ where a flash tune is with one on an R (I run 11.8@115 with a jb4 and bolt ons). Cobb AP would work as well.

I'd imagine once you've got the tune on you're not going to want to drive the car stock. I inadvertently drove around w my jb4 unplugged and the car feels sluggish af once you know how it feels with a little extra umph. Car should have come with the extra power from the factory, it doesn't turn it into some uncontrollable machine.