GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my clutch [finally] slipping?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
For what it’s worth I’m NOT on team change the RMS while you’re in there.

I’ve done four Mk7 clutch installations, none with a new RMS and none of them have leaked. In fact of all 16 Volkswagens I’ve owned not a single one of them has had an issue with the RMS...some with 200-300k miles on them.

My current car has 95k miles, installed my DKM MS twin disk at 49k and hasn’t leaked a drop.

This can’t be said for people who throw a new RMS in while they’re in there, as many have started without a leak and induced one by improperly installing the seal.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this but...6th gear on the highway, about 2K RPM, floor it and the RPM's jump a bit before the vehicle accelerates. A second later, power seems to kick in and it accelerates as normal.

2017 SE with 65K mi, Stage 1. I love the pull getting on the highway and figured I'd be upgrading the clutch soon but it looks like now is the time. I just started noticing this (today in fact). I have a track day scheduled for Oct 3 and another Oct 19. I'll definitely want to replace it before the track day.

No plan to do any other performance mods. Stage 1, coilovers and sticky tires works for me but I plan to track the car a few times a year. Car is not a daily driver, just a weekend car. Will the Sachs kit from FCP do the trick ?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-clutch-upgrade-kit-sachs-performance-kit-883082001422
FWIW, track days are not terrible on your clutch. Assuming its a "driving event" and not a true race the clutch should be fine. Don't launch it, once you are up to speed you're just stringing corners together and trying to keep as much momentum as you can through it all. In all probability you are using 2nd through 4th gears predominantly. I believe you would be fine but I am no expert either. I am at 63k on my stock clutch, Stage 1+ and do not have issues on track days. If you have more pressing issues to address, do those first before you drop coin on a clutch that still has miles left on it.

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
You'll be okay but it's nice to future proof if you're taking everything apart.

Nothing special for break-in. 300-500 miles with mild engagement, such as stop-and-go city driving to get some heat cycles in, don't abuse it.

What's the engagement like on the Sachs Performance kit? I used the ECS clutch stop for the OEM clutch. Does the replacement engage higher or lower than stock?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
What's the engagement like on the Sachs Performance kit? I used the ECS clutch stop for the OEM clutch. Does the replacement engage higher or lower than stock?
I don't remember what OEM feels like but it's not off of the floor like it was with the MK6 TOB I ran before. I think it's close to stock, but a lot stiffer. I took out the clutch stop.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
For what it’s worth I’m NOT on team change the RMS while you’re in there.

I’ve done four Mk7 clutch installations, none with a new RMS and none of them have leaked. In fact of all 16 Volkswagens I’ve owned not a single one of them has had an issue with the RMS...some with 200-300k miles on them.

My current car has 95k miles, installed my DKM MS twin disk at 49k and hasn’t leaked a drop.

This can’t be said for people who throw a new RMS in while they’re in there, as many have started without a leak and induced one by improperly installing the seal.

Agree with Jake. Not sure how this trend even started with people replacing the RMS, they don't all leak. I have a 1.8 and a 2.0 in the garage and both are fine, both over 50k.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Agree with Jake. Not sure how this trend even started with people replacing the RMS, they don't all leak. I have a 1.8 and a 2.0 in the garage and both are fine, both over 50k.

Pretty sure it started because there were a fair few people reporting theirs were leaking:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:+golfmk7.com+rms+leak&oq=site:+golfmk7.com+rms+leak

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/rear-main-seal.340765/
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-this-oil-leak-from.338848/

etc etc

So, the original part is perhaps not the greatest, and sometimes isn't even installed with all the bolts its supposed to have (6 vs 8). There's a MUCH stronger alternative available for $100. Seemed like a no-brainer to me if you're DIYing it and have it all apart. IMO, it'd take effort to install the iAbed version incorrectly. But, ymmv.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!

Had mine replaced with an upgraded kit since the trans was already out and it was cheap insurance in case my OEM RMS would have leaked later on in life. Worth the peace of mind for me.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Pretty sure it started because there were a fair few people reporting theirs were leaking:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:+golfmk7.com+rms+leak&oq=site:+golfmk7.com+rms+leak

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/rear-main-seal.340765/
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-is-this-oil-leak-from.338848/

etc etc

So, the original part is perhaps not the greatest, and sometimes isn't even installed with all the bolts its supposed to have (6 vs 8). There's a MUCH stronger alternative available for $100. Seemed like a no-brainer to me if you're DIYing it and have it all apart. IMO, it'd take effort to install the iAbed version incorrectly. But, ymmv.

Not trying to start a debate, but to each there own I guess. Small sample size, don't fix if it ain't broke.

Had mine replaced with an upgraded kit since the trans was already out and it was cheap insurance in case my OEM RMS would have leaked later on in life. Worth the peace of mind for me.

Anyway you look at it, both can leak. The "upgrade" could leak as well.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Not trying to start a debate, but to each there own I guess. Small sample size, don't fix if it ain't broke.

Anyway you look at it, both can leak. The "upgrade" could leak as well.

The upgrade is much better built, ergo less likely to leak which I believe is the point. Not sure why you put it in quotes.

Also, when you go from stock to Stage (X), doesn't that put more pressure on everything, including the RMS?

Last edited:

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Note, I floored it to see if the clutch was slipping. Getting ready for track day and want to ensure all is working well.

I've never heard of anyone going WOT at 2k rpm in 6th gear for track prep. That sounds more like "how to break your car prep."

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
So I've had the car about 5 days now with the new clutch, FCP's Sachs performance kit. I replaced the flywheel at mechanic's suggestion and OEM RMS. He'd never worked with the iAbed before and the OEM lasted 60K+ so we thought it would be fine.

For break in, I'm doing a lot of stop/go city driving and I'm at about 350 miles. It is a joy compared to the OEM clutch. I hated how high the stock unit engaged/disengaged and while the clutch stop worked by preventing travel, I just didn't love it. It has a much better feel to it now, grabs nice and low and is stiffer.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
So I've had the car about 5 days now with the new clutch, FCP's Sachs performance kit. I replaced the flywheel at mechanic's suggestion and OEM RMS. He'd never worked with the iAbed before and the OEM lasted 60K+ so we thought it would be fine.

For break in, I'm doing a lot of stop/go city driving and I'm at about 350 miles. It is a joy compared to the OEM clutch. I hated how high the stock unit engaged/disengaged and while the clutch stop worked by preventing travel, I just didn't love it. It has a much better feel to it now, grabs nice and low and is stiffer.
Good to hear. Definitely worth removing the orifice in the bleeder block as it's a free mod and upgrading to a short shifter if you haven't already - Dieselgeek Sigma 6 is top notch.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
^ This. I had a SB Stage 3 Daily installed last month and also had the iABED RMS and a Fluidampr installed at the same time.
What do these items cost? Ordering SB 3 daily soon. Thx Rick