GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my clutch [finally] slipping?

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this but...6th gear on the highway, about 2K RPM, floor it and the RPM's jump a bit before the vehicle accelerates. A second later, power seems to kick in and it accelerates as normal.

2017 SE with 65K mi, Stage 1. I love the pull getting on the highway and figured I'd be upgrading the clutch soon but it looks like now is the time. I just started noticing this (today in fact). I have a track day scheduled for Oct 3 and another Oct 19. I'll definitely want to replace it before the track day.

No plan to do any other performance mods. Stage 1, coilovers and sticky tires works for me but I plan to track the car a few times a year. Car is not a daily driver, just a weekend car. Will the Sachs kit from FCP do the trick ?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-clutch-upgrade-kit-sachs-performance-kit-883082001422

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
You will also need to replace the flywheel if you get that clutch kit. If you stop flooring it in 6th gear the clutch will last longer.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Just like autos have kickdowns you have a clutch pedal and gear selector, use it to accelerate like that. If you are at 2k and want to punch it, just know you are in the wrong gear.

Then as noted about your clutch will be fine and keep holding the stage 1 fine.

But yes that feeling you felt it slight slip, if you let it keep slipping like that you get the disc to where it’s wore down enough that it will be a full slip where the car goes for 3k to redline but you’re not accelerating at all. Now that’s not fun trust me, lol been driving like that for 3 weeks waiting for my clutch install

patrick_b

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT
You will also need to replace the flywheel if you get that clutch kit. If you stop flooring it in 6th gear the clutch will last longer.
Just like autos have kickdowns you have a clutch pedal and gear selector, use it to accelerate like that. If you are at 2k and want to punch it, just know you are in the wrong gear.

Then as noted about your clutch will be fine and keep holding the stage 1 fine.

But yes that feeling you felt it slight slip, if you let it keep slipping like that you get the disc to where it’s wore down enough that it will be a full slip where the car goes for 3k to redline but you’re not accelerating at all. Now that’s not fun trust me, lol been driving like that for 3 weeks waiting for my clutch install

Note, I floored it to see if the clutch was slipping. Getting ready for track day and want to ensure all is working well. Car is new to me, had all the fluids changed, rotors and pads done last week and asked my mechanic how to tell if clutch is slipping. He said try checking it on the highway (as illustrated above). For reference that is the only sign of slipping I get. It's been stage 1 for about 30K. I've had the car for ~5K miles.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
You know you're old when you have to look this up only to realize it just means stop
Diggs may not be referring to this, but Pls Stahp used to be a Dolan meme lol

1600888881280.png

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I don't get why people check for slip.

It either is or it isn't. Don't purposefully drive in a way attempting to induce slip. If you drive right and it doesn't slip don't drive wrong to check.

This is like cutting yourself to confirm the knife is sharp.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
This is like cutting yourself to confirm the knife is sharp.

So it's not a good idea to hit a pole to make sure your airbag works?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Note, I floored it to see if the clutch was slipping. Getting ready for track day and want to ensure all is working well. Car is new to me, had all the fluids changed, rotors and pads done last week and asked my mechanic how to tell if clutch is slipping. He said try checking it on the highway (as illustrated above). For reference that is the only sign of slipping I get. It's been stage 1 for about 30K. I've had the car for ~5K miles.

The clutch will slip more easily in a lower gear when there's a lot of torque. At 60 mph in 6th gear you're just lugging the motor and risk other worse damage.

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
You will also need to replace the flywheel if you get that clutch kit.

I am trying to plan my own upgrade path and was looking for solutions for the same problem. I was under the impression that this kit was designed so that you did NOT have to purchase a flywheel, instead re-using the stock dual-mass wheel, minimizing the rattle/chatter and/or whatever else that comes with single-mass flywheels, as well as keeping overall costs down?

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
If you have low miles and your clutch hasn't slipped yet then I wouldn't worry about replacing the flywheel. In the case of the OP, at 65k miles if you're going to replace the clutch then you should do the flywheel too, and the flywheel can get damaged after the clutch starts slipping.