GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it worth it to get a GTI MK6 now or wait for MK7?

Should I get the MK6 GTI or wait for the MK7 GTI?

• Get the MK6

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Wait for the MK7

Votes: 22 88.0%

• Total voters

vdubbing

I would never again buy a first-year production of any VW product. Just speaking from <not so good> experience.

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
^^^^This def. Just wait it out man.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I'd wait and get the MK7. Its the normal mantra that you never buy the first production model year, but you can refine that to almost "Never buy a new model in the first half year" By then, die maturation and process kinks have been worked out.

Normally, here, our new models have gone through 3 build lots (Roughly 1.5 years before production start up) ranging in almost 1000 cars. Each that has been rigorously tested in every scenario known to man. Also, our cars are taken on trips in normal driving occasions (Camo'd of course) up to 150-200K before production even begins. That waay, we have a clear indication of warranty issues before the car is even out.

You cant stop the inevitable, however, just buy the car. The warranty will manage the rest.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I recently picked up a 13 GTI Autobahn. My plan is to pick up a second year GTI in the US in 2015.

Any reason for such a quick turnover?

mlatner

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm also torn

This is also where I am torn. I don't have a car right now, just a work van...that I can only use for work. So do I get a Golf R in a couple months or get a GTI now (lease or buy?) and get the new MK7 R when it comes to the states?

Strikered

Ready to race!
I would never again buy a first-year production of any VW product. Just speaking from <not so good> experience.

Food for thought: I partly agree with your statement, but by the time we get the MK7 GTI, it will already be on its "second generation". The car will have sold thousands of units in Europe before it even hits our shores (with most of the kinks hopefully worked out). Not too mention this is the same platform that most VW's will be built on (MQB) for years to come.

Im holding off for the 7 (currently own an MK5), and I dont think I'll be too cautious on pulling the trigger when they first become available here in the States. In fact, due to this forum, we'll have plenty of insight from other markets as to the well known "issues" and fixes.

I cant wait....

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Any reason for such a quick turnover?

Nothing wrong with the car at all. I love it! I jumped on the 13' GTI with the assumption that the MY13 may be the last year for NA customers to get German-built Golfs. Germexico-built Golfs may be just as good. Nobody knows. But at least I will have an option to either keep my current GTI or trade it in for a MK7 GTI or R in 2 or 3 years.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yeah, I guess I can see the point. I currently own a 2008.5 MKV and Will probably get about 150-200K out of it and hopefully roll right into an MK7 and do the same.

Having a car for two years and then trading up (When not on a lease) seems like a huge effort for such a subjective gain. Now leasing............totally different story.

Groovetemple

GTI

I have the Mk6 GTi and Mk7 GT, despite the new platform the main difference will be economy from the cylinder deactivation on the mk7 and also the mk7 is quieter.

You may also get 3 in the back more easily as the Mk7 is slightly bigger inside.

Having driven both cars the mk6 does not feel old to me, quite the opposite if anything the seats are better (leather) and the standard equipment on the later mk6 models is good.

Anyone expecting to get into the MK7 and it be a total change from the MK6 may be disappointed, it is however a very good car and certainly on the GT you can see the improvement in build.

All the available cars are now in the dealer network and many of them are very highly specified so you can get a real bargain, which wont be the case on the Mk7..