GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it possible to replace the torsion beam with an IRS setup?

ufster

I want to start tuning my MK7 1.2 TSI engine for 140bhp and I'm also wondering as VW decided to go with IRS for models over 122bhp, whether I should go ahead and upgrade the suspension too, for safety/performance reasons. Any information regarding if/how this process could be carried out will be most welcome. Thanks for the replies already.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Find a crashed MK7 GT/Highline/GTD/GTI with the rear end IRS ok....

You will need subframe, lower arms, trailing arms, link arms, hubs, springs, dampers, etc....

Not to forget exhaust, which ist routed differently.

Is it possible? Yes. As is an engine swap. Does it make sense? Only if you have
a wrecked Golf with IRS or get the parts for cheap. All the parts.

Imho if you find both your engine and its suspension too weak, you'd better sell
your 1.2 TSI and get a 1.4 TSI with 140/150 HP.
Comes with stronger gearbox and clutch, probably stronger brakes too. You likely
wouldn't even need to spend more money.

Last edited:

ufster

Thanks for the responses. From what I've read thus far, it seems like the better solution is to just buy a new car.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Picture of the whole rear IRS that you will need...from a dismantlers in ZA..

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDgwMA==/z/u1QAAOSw6dNWTN1f/$_20.j

ufster

thanks @golfdave, I've asked my mechanic to be on the lookout for one, I've got a few upgrades in mind and if I can get this part for a reasonable price, I'll stick with my car. With the mk8 around the corner, I'd ideally wait for a hybrid/ev model for a real upgrade. I was very impressed with the gte when I test drove it in Germany. Sadly there is very little demand for these cars in Turkey due to very high taxes.

edit: @breaking badly - my car comes with the six speed manual gearbox, isn't that the same with the manual 1.4 tsi?

Last edited:

sopskysalat

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, did you manage to swap to multilink? I am thinking of one and can get the whole rear for probably around 500usd. But the issue is the exhaust routed via side instead of center which i think it is done for multilink.

Fisky

Car(s)
golf mk7 1.6 TDI
hi there, new to all this just joined how much of a pain is it to convert from rear beam to multi link. I have a 1.6 TDI 2015 as I can get a multi link set up complete from a 2.0 TDI

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
hi there, new to all this just joined how much of a pain is it to convert from rear beam to multi link. I have a 1.6 TDI 2015 as I can get a multi link set up complete from a 2.0 TDI

The body is different in that the top perch for the rear springs is in a slightly different place,...so you have to use full coilovers.....& telling your insurance in the UK will push up your premium...

kelsheikh

Car(s)
Octavia 3
The body is different in that the top perch for the rear springs is in a slightly different place,...so you have to use full coilovers.....& telling your insurance in the UK will push up your premium...
Hello golfdave,

can you please illustrate further what is meant by a full coilover set and what the full coilover set will add?

thank you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hello golfdave,

can you please illustrate further what is meant by a full coilover set and what the full coilover set will add?

thank you

Springs go around the damper.

On many cars including the Mk7 Golf the rear springs are in a different place to the dampers. This to make the wheel arches smaller, & to increase the width internally for luggage space.

If you want to swap the rear torsion beam suspension for the rear multilink you cannot use the OEM top spring placement as the the locator for the top of the spring (perch) is in a slightly different place (only by a few cm). To avoid having to cut out bodywork & alter, you have fit spring coil over dampers..or "full coil-overs" to the rears..

Trouble is not many people make them & there are usually the full "race" types & very expensive.

This is a KW competition kit for the Mk7 Golf, showing on the left of picture the rear "coil-over" & on the right the front coil-over..

1637844151234.png

kelsheikh

Car(s)
Octavia 3
Springs go around the damper.

On many cars including the Mk7 Golf the rear springs are in a different place to the dampers. This to make the wheel arches smaller, & to increase the width internally for luggage space.

If you want to swap the rear torsion beam suspension for the rear multilink you cannot use the OEM top spring placement as the the locator for the top of the spring (perch) is in a slightly different place (only by a few cm). To avoid having to cut out bodywork & alter, you have fit spring coil over dampers..or "full coil-overs" to the rears..

Trouble is not many people make them & there are usually the full "race" types & very expensive.

This is a KW competition kit for the Mk7 Golf, showing on the left of picture the rear "coil-over" & on the right the front coil-over..

View attachment 231317
Just to make sure that I understand correctly

if I use a full coilover set, I wont have to cut through the bodywork or anything right?

also, I own a skoda octavia mk3 2015 as well with a torsion beam rear suspensions and I was planning to buy a donor car to get the multilink rear suspensions as well.

it will be the same right?

thank you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just to make sure that I understand correctly

if I use a full coilover set, I wont have to cut through the bodywork or anything right?

also, I own a skoda octavia mk3 2015 as well with a torsion beam rear suspensions and I was planning to buy a donor car to get the multilink rear suspensions as well.

it will be the same right?

thank you

Race style coil overs for the rear should be ok..but they cost over £2,000 for a complete front/rear set..so it might be cheaper to cut the small panel out ..basically part no.8 has various other parts welded to it..thats the difference..

Without having both parts in front of me I cannot say 100% which bits need changing..but when another forum member tried it he had difficulty with the top of the springs, ..this making me believe the top spring perch is different. However he was using a MK6 rear subframe for some unknown reason as the link arms are different on that. Which may have placed the springs in the wrong place..so the Mk7 bodywork might be ok I have no idea...just there are differences as that drawing shows..

bottom plate; side member; wheel housing inner par... - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2015 year] (7zap.com)

PR code 0N1 = torsion beam axle

0N4 = multilink...

As far as the Mk3 Octavia there are differences in that as well, in fact that might have a different spare wheel wel...it should be the same overall shape, but as I stated in the other thread ones a two piece the others a single piece..

Basically you have to buy the parts & work it out for yourself.....