GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent long crank 17’ Golf R

translux

Ready to race!
17’ Golf R manual.
Having a strange issue where the car will intermittently crank for an extended period. I hit the start/stop button as soon as I notice this happening so I’m not sure how long it would crank and if it would even start. A couple times I had the radio up and it’s been at least 3-4 seconds before I noticed. Car always starts normally on 2nd try. No consistent pattern as this has happened anywhere from sitting 8+ hours to only a couple.
Only mod is a JB4.
ODB11 scan doesn’t show any faults.
Battery was replaced under warranty 3 months ago.

I did see some threads with cars pointing to fuel pumps. If this is the case I’d think I’d see a CEL or at the very least a fault.

If it was a battery issue I think I’d also see some indication.

Plan on bringing in for service this week but given all the issues I’ve had dealers look at over the years with No Problem Found I’m guessing they won’t be able to reproduce.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You said that it will crank for an extended period and then hit the start/stop button. Wouldn't your finger already be pushing the start/stop button?

translux

Ready to race!
You said that it will crank for an extended period and then hit the start/stop button. Wouldn't your finger already be pushing the start/stop button?

No it continues to crank without me touching the button.

In thinking about it I think it’s the battery being drained by my radar detector.

The cigarette lighter should turn off when the car is off?

Mine doesn’t. I blew the fuse for the cigarette lighter after a penny fell into it. Maybe I put the fuse back into the wrong slot.

Looks like one will keep the cigarette lighter hot all the time. See link to video below.

I’ll check in the morning.

https://youtu.be/m7We5IU6kds

G7Rules

Ready to race!
You're onto something, definitely sounds like a battery issue to me. Exact same thing happened when mine went bad and had to be replaced.

translux

Ready to race!
Cigarette lighter fuse was in the always on position. Moved to off with key. We’ll see if the resolves.

Yellow 20 amp

Always on position

Off with key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Replacement battery is over 3 years old. May well just need replacing again. These cars are not kind to batteries.

I just replaced the original battery at 4.5 years. Since these cars are known to be somewhat hard on batteries, I upped the capacity from the stock 60 Ah/480 CCA to a 70 Ah/760 CCA (AutoCraft Platinum H6-AGM). The new battery is a bit heavier, and sells for about $40 more than the original size in the same brand. It's also longer and therefore requires a new battery insulation case for about $50 (P/N 5Q0-915-411-H, unless you care to omit it).

I'm OK with spending some extra to improve reliability/extend useful life.

Neil

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
^^ I did the same thing with a Die-Hard AGM H6 when my original battery croaked at 24 months on the dot. Should last longer between being of greater capacity and not a turd of a battery like the OEM junk that VW manages to source. They probably beat their suppliers down so far in price that they get an appropriate piece of junk for their lowball bid.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I’m not the OP, but I did recode mine. I considered this essential with the uprated capacity and the change in chemistry to AGM. Fortunately I already had a VCDS, so no big deal.