GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior mirror removed… problem!

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
Hi all.
I removed my interior mirror about 2 years ago. The black cover housing came off with it. I clipped the top back in but the bottom has nothing to clip in so I used superglue. Worked fine. For some reason tonight the glue has given up and now the cover will only clip in the top. This means the bottom dangles then falls off.
Am I best just going with superglue again?
Or does anyone know of a solution to cover the rain sensor and wires?

Attachments

• AEC2D8B3-D539-4F05-8A68-9779E6620104.jpeg
    AEC2D8B3-D539-4F05-8A68-9779E6620104.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 64
  • A02B9B4C-306A-4982-83FA-010C51C6D6E9.jpeg
    A02B9B4C-306A-4982-83FA-010C51C6D6E9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 456793E9-4514-49CB-8DDD-67508F77F547.jpeg
    456793E9-4514-49CB-8DDD-67508F77F547.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm a little confused, so you don't "run" a rearview mirror?

I suppose rain light sensor failures are not common so you could use Sugru. It is meant to be permanent. Some type of clear silicon/rtv might be a better choice. That'll be flexible, handle temperature changes okay and isn't permanent.

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
I'm a little confused, so you don't "run" a rearview mirror?

I suppose rain light sensor failures are not common so you could use Sugru. It is meant to be permanent. Some type of clear silicon/rtv might be a better choice. That'll be flexible, handle temperature changes okay and isn't permanent.

Hi. I do not run a rear view mirror. I drive professionally and those vehicles only have side mirrors. Many years ago I removed the interior mirror in my Focus and since then any car I drive, I either remove the interior mirror or push it away from me completely. I hate them, it doesn’t aid my vision in any way. I’ve always passed an MOT, sometimes getting an advisory that it’s missing.

But back to the topic in hand. I resorted to using double sided tape and hid it out of view. Seems to be working so far!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hi. I do not run a rear view mirror. I drive professionally and those vehicles only have side mirrors. Many years ago I removed the interior mirror in my Focus and since then any car I drive, I either remove the interior mirror or push it away from me completely. I hate them, it doesn’t aid my vision in any way. I’ve always passed an MOT, sometimes getting an advisory that it’s missing.

But back to the topic in hand. I resorted to using double sided tape and hid it out of view. Seems to be working so far!
How do you see the car directly behind you without a rear view mirror?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You don't, haha. The vans at my job that we use for off-site work still have a rearview mirror but the back doors are paneled so you can't use it. It's oddly disconcerting when driving.

They do have rearview cameras that show a small video in the mirror when you're in reverse. But it's fairly useless so you still need a spotter.

But even if I wasn't "using" my rearview mirror I wouldn't remove it. It doesn't block the forward view of anything I need to see 🤷🏿‍♂️. And hating rearview mirrors seems a strong feeling to have, haha.