GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior Exhaust Smell

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I’ve come to a conclusion that this car is more susceptible to drawing in unpleasant exhaust odors than any other car I’ve owned, or have long term experience with. Have others noticed the same?

I’ve owned the car for 3.5 years, have 29k miles on it, and am on my 5th cabin air filter. I tried the Mann FreciousPlus 3 times and did not notice any major improvement. I park outside, so if anything that filter is worse for my situation as the activated carbon starts to stink after 2-3 months. I more or less have to drive with the recirculation on 99% of the time.

Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks

Hotsky

Ready to race!
Maybe check your exhaust to make sure there is no leak in the system. Only had my golf since summer and had not noticed any issues. I can see how you'd have this issue if your commune was bumper to bumper crawl tho.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
You shouldn't be getting any exhaust smell in the cabin. I'm guessing you have a leak somewhere. My Camry leaks at the flex joint thats basically rusted off right under the drivers seat and if I have the climate control system set to non-recirculate then I can't even breathe in the car. The exhaust should be piping all the gases out behind the car and if its not, thats why you can smell iit in the cabin.

If you're smelling gasoline, did you have the charcoal filter recall work done?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Flex pipe area or DP connection perhaps.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
For sure have something loose. I just installed a high flow dp with cat further down and have no smell

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Never had any exhaust smell in the cabin either, somethings up with your downpipe.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
I’m pretty sure it’s not my exhaust, but from other vehicles. However, after reading some of your replies I’m curious. My turbocharger was replaced under warranty about two years ago, and now that I think about it, it may have started then.

I also have a vanishing coolant issue with no visible leaks. I may just be smelling coolant as it leaks and burns off.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
My DP clamp was loose from factory and noticed a smell within a few days of ownership. Now nearly 4 years later after tightening it, no issues.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I’m pretty sure it’s not my exhaust, but from other vehicles. However, after reading some of your replies I’m curious. My turbocharger was replaced under warranty about two years ago, and now that I think about it, it may have started then.

I also have a vanishing coolant issue with no visible leaks. I may just be smelling coolant as it leaks and burns off.

Practically guarantee it's the water pump housing leaking.

amirdieselx64

I had a similar situation on my car it was either an exhaust smell or sometimes smelled like oil vapor. It was hard to tell I finally noticed wet around my oil cap I replaced the oil cap and the smell is gone. VW updated the oil cap to a newer version I got it and haven’t smelled any since.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Hmm, interesting. I noticed that there is seepage around my oil cap. In a week, I'm bringing my car in for an oil change, and to hopefully have my coolant loss diagnosed.

I also noticed that the engine compartment is inadequately partitioned under the hood. There is a very sizeable gap that is likely allowing hot engine air to enter the HVAC air intake.

Last edited: