GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler pricing: Unitronic = IE in performance?

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I've been running the Unitronic intercooler for 2 months now. No issues on the install nor on the performance side of things. Yes, I geeked out and looked at Jeff's test data (mygolfmk7.com) on various intercoolers prior to going with Unitronic. I figured it didn't really matter too much who I went with - as long as I went with a reputable name, the fit-up was simple and the price was right.

So here's a bit more on the real-world performance side of things. It's nearly always hot in Florida. Typical weather pattern for where I live is: hot or slightly less hot. I have yet to feel any heat soak, even after taking her to Sebring for a track day in 90 F weather in March. Let me repeat that 90 F weather in March! Ugh. Anyway, so we're talking about full throttle blasts nearly continuously for 30 minutes x 4 sessions = 2 hours of nearly WOT. The Unitronic IC held up just fine under these conditions, even while running an EQT stage 1.

hotbascosauce

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE DSG W/DCC
Not a fan of the BMS unit from what I've seen.
Curious. How come? Theyre on sale right now from their Ebay store at USD 480.00 with free shipping, as opposed to +USD 45.00 shipping on their website. I have been debating on which intercooler for a long time now. I originally ordered the Amazon Gplus one but ended up returning it before installing. I considered the CTS/ECS/ARM FMIC too.

Is the USD 700.00 Unitronic one really USD 200.00 better than the BMS? But at the same time, the CSK/Majesty is up to USD 380.00 now. Is the BMS USD 100.00 better than the CSK/Majesty? Fully aware I'm talking way too much for you Diggs.

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
From what I've read about the BMS IC's is that the first gen had some fitment issues.

I went through the entire IC thread. From what I got out of it was that it really didn't matter what brand (or mounting type) intercooler you got if you're on a stock IS20/38. Get the one you like the best. They'll have similar performance. The other thing I got from that thread is that it's the temp at the intake manifold that matters most...I could be wrong though.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Just bought the Unitronic yesterday.:)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Curious. How come? Theyre on sale right now from their Ebay store at USD 480.00 with free shipping, as opposed to +USD 45.00 shipping on their website. I have been debating on which intercooler for a long time now. I originally ordered the Amazon Gplus one but ended up returning it before installing. I considered the CTS/ECS/ARM FMIC too.

Is the USD 700.00 Unitronic one really USD 200.00 better than the BMS? But at the same time, the CSK/Majesty is up to USD 380.00 now. Is the BMS USD 100.00 better than the CSK/Majesty? Fully aware I'm talking way too much for you Diggs.
data

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Just bought the Unitronic yesterday.:)

Good choice. Hope things go well on the install side of things. It took me a full Saturday plus a small amount of Sunday to complete the install. The fitment went well for me. I think you'll be very satisfied with the performance. The stock IC seems woefully inadequate beyond two back-to-back WOT runs in warm weather.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Good choice. Hope things go well on the install side of things. It took me a full Saturday plus a small amount of Sunday to complete the install. The fitment went well for me. I think you'll be very satisfied with the performance. The stock IC seems woefully inadequate beyond two back-to-back WOT runs in warm weather.
Billy said $375

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
we parting out or not?

Also back on topic, I think some people were having issues with BMS intercooler not providing as big of an improvement over stock as advertised. Mine has been sitting in the corner for 3 months... need to get it installed before Summer is in full swing. Just not sure about the coolant bleeding stuff or doing the job with limited access to the underside of the car.