GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler Piping Upgrade Worth It?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
If im installing an IE v2 Intercooler and possibly an EQT Vortex, would it be wise/ needed/ recommended to also upgrade the piping for the intercooler? or do factory pipes work just as well?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
When I did the 2.5” pipes on my hybrid 38 car I didn’t notice any butt dyno results but less restriction did show to affect my turbos wastegate effort in a positive way via logs under the same conditions and requests.

Edit *also to be noted - the results I saw with before and after was just from changing the hot side pipe too, as I already had the cool side (intercooler to throttle) upgraded

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Are we talking intercooler piping or discharge pipes?
Good point, my experience response was in regards to charge pipes- also to be noted - the results I saw with before and after was just from changing the hot side pipe too, as I already had the cool side (intercooler to throttle) upgraded since I needed that one for the meth injection bung, speaking of it - that means I have a new 2.5” cool side pipe sitting in the garage 😂😂 since I got the hot side as a kit.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Are we talking intercooler piping or discharge pipes?
Anything that connects from the turbo to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the intake on the engine

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I did mine with the CTS kit with the XL and my V1 IE intercooler. I have no data to support any variance as the IC, pipe kit, and XL was all installed at the same time. My XL does spool to 28 pounds by 3300 RPM in fourth and if going bigger turbo it certainly won't hurt. I say go for it since you are already in there.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
these aren't restrictive like the 'pancake pipe' that the mk6 came with. but in the essense of reducing any remaining turbulence and maximizing boosty noises i'll probably do it down the road when i swap in an intercooler