ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
Any section in this thread with Majesty IAT results?

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Anyone with experience installing the do88 intercooler (stock location)? Just curious how easy or difficult the install went. Their installation guide talks about trimming brackets and air guides. Ugh. Otherwise, seems like a quality unit like APR, Uni, IE, AMS, etc.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Does anyone running a hybrid (preferably on pump gas) have any logs they want to share showing IAT over a 3-4th gear pull? I am trying to get an idea what is an acceptable increase in IATs during a pull. I am seeing a 20+* increase in IATs over the course of a 60-130 pull and it’s pretty independent of ambient temperature. Is that acceptable?

I have seen plenty of logs with people running IS20s and IS38s but that doesn’t really give the full picture of an ICs performance. I have found that there is a big difference between even the hottest tuned stock turbos and a hybrid on 28psi@7000rpms. That air is HOT!

Because of this I am considering making the switch to either an APR or AMS intercooler as they seem to be the best designed/best performing and they require no cutting/trimming. If anyone has logs from those on a hybrid that would be even better.

Long story short is my IC performing fine or would an AMS/APR unit offer a much flatter IAT graph? Is it unrealistic of me to expect less than a 10* increase at my power level during a pull? Thanks guys.

Example Example 2

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
A little high but not awful. Mine runs about +20 60-130. What IC is it?

That’s not bad especially considering you’re on ethanol. It’s the Baun Performance V1. I’ve been talking to him about the larger V2 but it looks like covid delayed the development of it pretty significantly.

Ideally I’d rather stick with a FMIC because I believe they’re harder to heat soak and quicker to cool down but the larger volume of the DF is undeniably superior when cooling this hot hybrid air.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That’s not bad especially considering you’re on ethanol. It’s the Baun Performance V1. I’ve been talking to him about the larger V2 but it looks like covid delayed the development of it pretty significantly.

Ideally I’d rather stick with a FMIC because I believe they’re harder to heat soak and quicker to cool down but the larger volume of the DF is undeniably superior when cooling this hot hybrid air.

It was a long time coming, but the V2 is officially available as of last week!

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Why would the ethanol matter? Charge air temps are very high and I doubt ethanol gas has any sort of cooling effect on the turbo that would be measurable.

Ah I thought it would make at least a little difference in charge air temps. I figured lower combustion temps = lower EGTs = lower charge air temps. Maybe I’m over simplifying though.

It was a long time coming, but the V2 is officially available as of last week!

It’s a sign!

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
I have an AMS and it will climb to ~20f over by the top of 4th but it stays and flatlines into 5th where my BMS continued to increase to 30f+ and didn’t recover as quickly as the AMS does.
You’d be hard pressed to find a direct fit that performs to 10f over ambient with a hybrid.
Jake’s V2 is likely the answer. We spoke about the V2, he’s seen hybrid logs with various ICs and none stand out from the others as being superior.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I have an AMS and it will climb to ~20f over by the top of 4th but it stays and flatlines into 5th where my BMS continued to increase to 30f+ and didn’t recover as quickly as the AMS does.
You’d be hard pressed to find a direct fit that performs to 10f over ambient with a hybrid.
Jake’s V2 is likely the answer. We spoke about the V2, he’s seen hybrid logs with various ICs and none stand out from the others as being superior.

That’s solid. As you can see mine is closer to 30f over ambient by the end of a pull. I think 20f over would be an improvement especially during the summer. Now all I need is an APR IC datalog with a hybrid

If I do go the V2 FMIC route, how good would it have to be to warrant cutting into the crash bar? Less than 10f over at the end of a long pull?

If the answer is no it’s not worth it for a few degrees, would it be worth it to get rid of the FMIC altogether and swap in a stock location? Again for pretty marginal gains. I think @billbadass went from the Neuspeed to the APR cooler and said he picked up a few WHP.