GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Make it pretty slut! And list your ambient temps at the time :D

travicon

Ready to race!
the stock cooler isn't that bad really. It's probably excellent for stock boost pressures, and adequate for those tuned. Just a short observation.

It's 80 degrees here in Houston. It's January 14th. This summer is going to be wicked and I'd like to do what I can to help the longevity and performance.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya an upgraded IC will put less strain on the turbo and in hot climates it's a very good early upgrade.

A long time ago I remember hearing anyone with an upgraded IC haven't had any turbos blowing, but no idea if that's accurate lol

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
I have the biggest dilemma. I'm stuck between Integrated Engineering or Unitronic FMIC. I'm trying to justify the $200 difference between the 2.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
They're both good options. Installing either is going to be a bit of a PITA though lol

Just make sure you unplug the coolant temp sensor before you mess with the radiator stack. I forgot it was there and tore the wires out of the plug. They went back in OK and the sensor works well but I get a CEL on every startup that says "coolant temp sensor circuit over voltage" and I haven't been able to fix it yet

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I have the biggest dilemma. I'm stuck between Integrated Engineering or Unitronic FMIC. I'm trying to justify the $200 difference between the 2.

What are you end goals? The IE is great, but uni is probably plenty for most people. It's good for an IS20 pushed max with WMI or an IS38 tune. That's my rough guidelines. I'd guess 375whp or so. It'll work above that but with reduced cooling between back to back runs

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'd go ie at this point. Comes with hoses, and we haven't seen any fitment issues with it. There were a few with unitronic, which they addresses.

If you wait, both go on sale during the year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

tylerf0606

Ready to race!
I wish one would go on sale right now. The CTS ones are now $640 shipped under their tax return sale, but I want something that will fit without modifications.

Edit:. My patience got the best of me. I just ordered the IE IC.

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I wish one would go on sale right now. The CTS ones are now $640 shipped under their tax return sale, but I want something that will fit without modifications.

Edit:. My patience got the best of me. I just ordered the IE IC.

Good choice on the order....

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
You won't regret it, I promise. It's a great IC and zero fitment issues when I installed mine.

I was thinking of stopping by IE since I'm up in Utah right now but don't think the wifey would like that. Maybe next time if I drive up my car lol

Perry01

Ready to race!
You won't regret it, I promise. It's a great IC and zero fitment issues when I installed mine.

I was thinking of stopping by IE since I'm up in Utah right now but don't think the wifey would like that. Maybe next time if I drive up my car lol

I didn't know that's where they're located. We'll be at our vacation home in Utah in a couple of weeks and maybe I can slip away one afternoon and return with an IC. It would save me $130 shipping to Hawaii. I wonder if it would fit in my suitcase?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep they're in SLC. Core is probably 26x18x8 overall... I think the height will be the killer in a suitcase looking at my suitcase currently but it'll be close. You could ask the airline how much it'd be in IE's box. They just had a video on their IG of them dropping a packed IC from their roof and not a dent on it because they're confident in their packing :)

siupo128

Ready to race!
I'd go ie at this point. Comes with hoses, and we haven't seen any fitment issues with it. There were a few with unitronic, which they addresses.

If you wait, both go on sale during the year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am waiting for the IE go on sales too..it was $750 over black Friday.

Perry01

Ready to race!
Yep they're in SLC. Core is probably 26x18x8 overall... I think the height will be the killer in a suitcase looking at my suitcase currently but it'll be close. You could ask the airline how much it'd be in IE's box. They just had a video on their IG of them dropping a packed IC from their roof and not a dent on it because they're confident in their packing :)

I ordered one from Ian at MAPerformance and will pick it up at IE will call when I'm in SLC next month. We get free check-in bags on Delta.