GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Yeah it's kinda pointless. A bigger turbo setup running more boost will have higher temps and a greater air mass flow-- both of which put greater strain on the intercooler and you'd expect higher IATs. Intercooler performance has so many variables it's hard to get real accurate data or comparisons. The best we can probably realistically do amongst ourselves is maybe compare 60-130 runs, IAT rise for a given setup etc.
not to mention other factors such as it our ICs being sandwich style and the affects on airflow, temperature and the ability to evacuate heat. Online calculators are nice and all, but fail to provide an accurate picture due to the many variables involved.

That really is the best option, 1/4 and 1/2 mile logs, 60-130 pulls... multi-gears pulls logged with as much data about conditions attached as possible.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
After hours of research and extensive testing, the data points to only one logical conclusion: The IE v1 intercooler performs well between the values of -5 and +5, but once we exceed +5, it sucks.

1590167476161.png

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
After hours of research and extensive testing, the data points to only one logical conclusion: The IE v1 intercooler performs well between the values of -5 and +5, but once we exceed +5, it sucks.

View attachment 174155
that was easy :LOL:

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
not to mention other factors such as it our ICs being sandwich style and the affects on airflow, temperature and the ability to evacuate heat. Online calculators are nice and all, but fail to provide an accurate picture due to the many variables involved.

That really is the best option, 1/4 and 1/2 mile logs, 60-130 pulls... multi-gears pulls logged with as much data about conditions attached as possible.

Yeah, I was thinking 60-130 since generally that means the IC will be nice and cold soaked prior to the run starting...vs any standing start stuff there's going to variable amounts of stopping/heat soak prior. Yeah these cars are geared differently between MT/DSG and GTI/R, but it's the best option we got I think.

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Yeah, I was thinking 60-130 since generally that means the IC will be nice and cold soaked prior to the run starting...vs any standing start stuff there's going to variable amounts of stopping/heat soak prior. Yeah these cars are geared differently between MT/DSG and GTI/R, but it's the best option we got I think.
true 60-130 is ideal when you put it that way. 60 mph you got a nice flow going over the IC... vs probably being 30-40+ over ambient staging for a 1/4 mile

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
I spend 2 hours on the internet googling it. Let me make a blog about my expertise.
IE say anything about upgrading from V1 to V2?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Alright here's my data point then

Audi S3
Intake/DP
APR intercooler
91 octane, 4300'

Ambient: 68.
Cruising IAT prior to pull: 83
IAT min: 75
IAT max: 85
IAT delta: 10
Ambient vs IAT max Delta: 17

1590168171134.png

Last edited:

GTI_Owner

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI

View attachment 174155

I thought the point of the post you linked was saying that the IE IC works well? Are you saying it doesn't? Confused. 😕