GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering - Why Can't I Find Any Threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I'm looking at an IE tune, but can't find any threads on it. There are a few out there for CAIs, etc. but nothing for the tune itself. Normally there are vendor threads as well... don't see those either.

Looking for experience others have had with IE tunes, specifically stage 1. Any issues? Engine failures? Worth the $$$?

After TCU, ECU, flash cable & taxes, your edging the heels of about $1500. That's a good chunk of change. I've already been down the Cobb AP + custom tune route and don't want to do it again. No more data logging, monitoring knock, worrying about fuel... blah blah. Don't want to deal with it. Just want to flash the car and be done, so please don't recommend EQT.

Anyone out there with experience that can drop some knowledge?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
EQT. Had to be done. If you can wait they sometimes bundle their tune for free with the purchase of an AP through them. I’ve been running their 93 octane stage 2 for 20k miles without a hiccup and I’ve plugged in the AP twice, once to flash the tune and then again for an update.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Never even heard they have a tune before. You could just go with an OTS tune from EQT or other AP tuner. Or just use the protune you already have with them and forget about monitoring it...it'd probably be more reliable than most other OTS tunes. I never found it difficult to monitor the knock...it's pretty simple to do for peace of mind.

If anything I would be more worried about wanting to monitor knock with the IE tune

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Not an R, but I'm running IE stage 1 on my 1.8T. If you're looking for more info on their tunes, I've noticed a few Facebook groups to be a better source of info. They have an IE group and an IE customer group.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Never even heard they have a tune before. You could just go with an OTS tune from EQT or other AP tuner.

If anything I would be more worried about wanting to monitor knock with the IE tune
Their flash dongle also doubles as a logger in the software. It's pretty easy to log if need be. They tend to be more known with the non-cobb/AP crowd as the 1.8T doesn't have that option.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
EQT. Had to be done. If you can wait they sometimes bundle their tune for free with the purchase of an AP through them. I’ve been running their 93 octane stage 2 for 20k miles without a hiccup and I’ve plugged in the AP twice, once to flash the tune and then again for an update.
Just not doing EQT... sorry.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
They were like 4 years late to the game. If you just want to do a stage 1 tune and be done go for it, I'm sure it's fine. You could say the same about any of the basic tunes for any provider though. Being in Arizona with 91ACN you will always run into issues with a lot of tunes pulling timing. If you want a bump in power then why not run a JB4?

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Never even heard they have a tune before. You could just go with an OTS tune from EQT or other AP tuner. Or just use the protune you already have with them and forget about monitoring it...it'd probably be more reliable than most other OTS tunes. I never found it difficult to monitor the knock...it's pretty simple to do for peace of mind.

I'm extremely familiar with tuning. I've had custom tunes blow my engine through an AP. Most tuners try to milk every last HP... not my style on a 40k+ car. Just want something I can have some fun with. If I were building a high HP race car with a built motor and big turbo I'd go for a custom tune.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
They were like 4 years late to the game. If you just want to do a stage 1 tune and be done go for it, I'm sure it's fine. You could say the same about any of the basic tunes for any provider though. Being in Arizona with 91ACN you will always run into issues with a lot of tunes pulling timing. If you want a bump in power then why not run a JB4?

You hit it right on the money. That's my main fear... 91 octane on a Phoenix summer day = extremely high charge temps & lots of knock.

The stock tune is very reactive so it just pulls a bunch of timing.

I don't like the idea of a piggyback. Kinda wanted to properly flash the car.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I'm extremely familiar with tuning. I've had custom tunes blow my engine through an AP. Most tuners try to milk every last HP... not my style on a 40k+ car. Just want something I can have some fun with. If I were building a high HP race car with a built motor and big turbo I'd go for a custom tune.
the point of a protune is to have them customize it to your wants and needs...if you want something conservative and safe then tell them that's your main concern/priority.

a tune that's built specifically for your car should be safer than a random OTS tune built for the mass market

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
the point of a protune is to have them customize it to your wants and needs...if you want something conservative and safe then tell them that's your main concern/priority.

a tune that's built specifically for your car should be safer than a random OTS tune built for the mass market

Like I said, I'm very familiar with tuning. Have had at least 5 different tunes in the past, all custom through AP.

Most custom tunes are trying to make the most HP possible. I get that I can tell my tuner to be more conservative.

I'm specifically looking for others that have had experience with IE personally. Not necessarily for tuning methodology.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Like I said, I'm very familiar with tuning. Have had at least 5 different tunes in the past, all custom through AP.

Most custom tunes are trying to make the most HP possible. I get that I can tell my tuner to be more conservative.

I'm specifically looking for others that have had experience with IE personally. Not necessarily for tuning methodology.

IE is the least experienced tuner in the game, so going with them isn’t something you’re going to hear any of us from the experienced MQB crowd reference as a good choice.

APR is king of OTS reliability, but EQT has an outstanding track record as well (I know you said you didn’t want them).

If you’re worried about pulling timing due to altitude upgrade your intercooler as well. No tune adjustments needed, your just eliminating timing pull from excessive IAT from the equation (turbo needs to work harder at altitude = higher IAT).

Not exactly specific to tunes in general, but a good starting point as to what’s important mod wise on this platform (and why)

Backing up my experiences with a 100k recap

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
IE is the least experienced tuner in the game, so going with them isn’t something you’re going to hear any of us from the experienced MQB crowd reference as a good choice.

APR is king of OTS reliability, but EQT has an outstanding track record as well (I know you said you didn’t want them).

If you’re worried about pulling timing due to altitude upgrade your intercooler as well. No tune adjustments needed, your just eliminating timing pull from excessive IAT from the equation (turbo needs to work harder at altitude = higher IAT).

Not exactly specific to tunes in general, but a good starting point as to what’s important mod wise on this platform (and why)

Backing up my experiences with a 100k recap

Again, I'm not looking for tuning or modding methodology. The approach to any turbo car is the same. Regardless of platform.

Didn't mention altitude at all. Phoenix is roughly 1000ft. Not worried about altitude. I'm way more worried about 115 degree summer days, which no intercooler will ever fix.

IE seems to have a pretty good track record in general, and their facility is apparently top notch. Humble Mechanic has gone full IE, and he was a VAG tech for years before going out on his own.

My main thing is I can't find anything in the community that's specifically about IE, and even more specifically about stage 1 Golf Rs. No vendor thread, blown engine thread, etc. I would also argue that they prob aren't the least experienced, either. What are you basing that information on? Pure notoriety in the MQB world in terms of mention?

Status
Not open for further replies.