GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering - Why Can't I Find Any Threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
As said earlier, 1.8T GSW and not an R.. but my IE experience so far has been great. Love the way the car has performed so far, no issues but a minor EPC with some misfires. Cleared DCTs and have yet to be able to replicate it.

Coming up on 7K stage one. Stock engine wise and did some 3rd gear pulls with the IE logging if you're interested in looking them over:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/ie-stage-1-91-octane-3rd-gear-pulls.381143/

Most here with the 2.0T go AP and X tuner. Might have better luck asking around on FB or Instagram, a lot of GTI/R guys active in the IE customer group on FB.

I don't have a FB, never have. Has its downfalls in these types of situations.

Glad to see some people are having a good experience with IE. A buddy of mine has a GLI that's tuned by IE and he really likes it as well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm not offering an opinion on tuners but I'm curious how you decided against EQT? Is it just having to get an Access Port?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I had IE with my MK6 R that I sold in 2017, and they were very accommodating in adjusting things based off my concerns. I think I put maybe 40k miles on their stage 1, and never had any issues that I would have related to the tune. I drove the car hard often enough, and auto crossed it frequently. They always answered my questions, before, during, and after they had my money. I lived in Utah, so going by their shop was easy to do though. The place was well organized, staff were nice enough, which I think is a good component as well.

If my current car did not have an access port with EQT tunes on it already, I would have been looking at IE based on my previous experiences with them.

BlackDog68

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI autobahn dsg
I'm looking at an IE tune, but can't find any threads on it. There are a few out there for CAIs, etc. but nothing for the tune itself. Normally there are vendor threads as well... don't see those either.

Looking for experience others have had with IE tunes, specifically stage 1. Any issues? Engine failures? Worth the $$$?

After TCU, ECU, flash cable & taxes, your edging the heels of about $1500. That's a good chunk of change. I've already been down the Cobb AP + custom tune route and don't want to do it again. No more data logging, monitoring knock, worrying about fuel... blah blah. Don't want to deal with it. Just want to flash the car and be done, so please don't recommend EQT.

Anyone out there with experience that can drop some knowledge?
I researched IE about a year ago and only found good reviews, even if everyone agreed it was just another good OTS stage one tune. I had APR stg 1 on my car but wanted more. The shop that installed the APR also sold EI and I asked about switching to IE ( I was still in the APR trial period) and they said IE was more a hardware operation in their opinion. In the end I went with the Cobb AP and tuner (just OTS right now) as it was cheaper at the time and offered more long term flexibility, which you have stated you're not interested in.
Bottom line at the time the IE tune had good reviews (look at Audi sites too) and seems to fit your needs. Yes, I know this isn't really experience with IE but I thought it might help.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I'm not offering an opinion on tuners but I'm curious how you decided against EQT? Is it just having to get an Access Port?

Good friend of mine is a master tech for Audi, says he's seen more popped engines with EQT than any other tuner. That's coming from a person who works on VAG engines every day. Hard not to follow that advice.

The fuel quality in AZ is horrendous. I've sent logs out to Randy at Mountune who stated it was the worst gas he'd even seen for 91. Was closer to 87/89 equivalent. Not sure how big oil gets away with that. Stratified wasn't as bad, but still had to cut back on spark quite a bit to even things out. Eventually got to the point where the car was barely tuned. Marginal power gains for a full bolt on Stage 3 Focus ST. The only thing that helped was ethanol, or a couple gallons of race gas. This just wasn't feasible given how sparse those types of fuels are in my area for a street driven daily.

With that being said, I would pull 6 degrees of timing regularly... especially during the hot months. Even with a huge bar & plate intercooler, it barely made a difference when it was 110+ outside. Not much you can do when the ambient air is near ideal target charge temps. You just can't cool things down quickly enough. That's why I'm hesitant to tune again, and also the reason why I'm investigating different tuning companies. IE is in Utah, where the weather is very similar. Dry, hot, same altitude. Was thinking they may be a viable option so I started doing some research. That lead me to here, after not finding much.

I'm not against another tune with the AP, but I like to tinker. Monitoring parameters, trying to hit exact figures, constantly worried about negative corrections... etc. I don't want to go down that rabbit hole again. Given how complete the R is, I'd like to just set it and forget it. Flash a reliable tune and be done with it. I'm not chasing big power. But seeing the numbers on just a stage 1 tune is making it hard to hold back.

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I researched IE about a year ago and only found good reviews, even if everyone agreed it was just another good OTS stage one tune. I had APR stg 1 on my car but wanted more. The shop that installed the APR also sold EI and I asked about switching to IE ( I was still in the APR trial period) and they said IE was more a hardware operation in their opinion. In the end I went with the Cobb AP and tuner (just OTS right now) as it was cheaper at the time and offered more long term flexibility, which you have stated you're not interested in.
Bottom line at the time the IE tune had good reviews (look at Audi sites too) and seems to fit your needs. Yes, I know this isn't really experience with IE but I thought it might help.
Thank you for the input.

juyager

Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
I bought an IE ECU and TCU tune for my 18 R during their black friday sale last year and its very much a set and forget tune and has made the car much better. They do have update to the tunes every couple months or so it seems and I just plug it in and check occasionally and each version has made it a bit better each time. It so far has been a very set it and run and haven't had any issues with it thus far.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I bought an IE ECU and TCU tune for my 18 R during their black friday sale last year and its very much a set and forget tune and has made the car much better. They do have update to the tunes every couple months or so it seems and I just plug it in and check occasionally and each version has made it a bit better each time. It so far has been a very set it and run and haven't had any issues with it thus far.

Have you done any data logging? What fuel is available in your area?

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I am interested in info on this as well. The prior owner of my car had an IE tune in it, returned to stock before I bought it. I have access to those same tunes with only a purchase of their power link. So I would start here before I looked at other tuners.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
I'll jump in a give you an actual reply to the question you've asked.
I have a stage 2 high torque tune on my MT. I've had 0 issues with the tune itself, but general issues around modifying my car. Blew a hose, blew my downpipe off my turbo, and the big one was an unexpected computer update (thanks windows) during tuneing which bricked ECU. IE was insanely responsive and got everything fixed within a week (a long time without a car if you need it) at no cost to me. I cannot recommend IE as an organization enough.
I also LOVE my tune. I had their intake on my MK6 GTI and knew I'd get their tune on my next car. They've always seemed to be able to squeeze out a bit more power. I did have to upgrade my already upgraded clutch due to all the torque. I live in the SE, but have access to 93. I haven't pulled logs with IE's tool because I haven't felt the need to.
Looking back I probably would've considered EQT just for the protune, there's obviously a reason he is so recommended, but I will not be switching over unless I want to go up to Vortex turbo, which is doubtful.

Not sure why Jake and BadHombre are being so combative towards you. A lot of unnecessary hostility in this thread. Hope my reply helps!

edit: I did also start with their stage 1 for a few months and enjoyed it, just wanted a bit more power.

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
-If you don’t know who I am that just shows you’re new here and could use the advice. I’ll show myself out and let you learn the hard way based on your ignorance...don’t ask people for help and proceed to tell them you know it all and don’t want their help. EQT and APR both make OTS tunes just like IE, only much better with a lot more experience. Hence why everyone who replied told you NOT to go with IE
Jake your experience and the insight you've been providing to this forum is fantastic, but you're coming off a bit arrogant here.
Just like OP doesn't know you and your experience, you don't know them and their experience.
Other people without IE tuning experience telling someone who is asking specifically for IE tuning feedback to forget about IE is kinda silly. You could let people ask and learn without being condescending. But don't mind me I'm just another no-name user here, and I have an IE tune, I must need advice 🤷‍♂️

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Combative? I was legitimately trying to help him until I made a joke with the final post

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
Combative? I was legitimately trying to help him until I made a joke with the final post
Don't see how it's helpful to reply to a question about a specific tune and say:
Never even heard they have a tune before. You could just go with an OTS tune from EQT or other AP tuner
when OP specifically said they aren't considering the AP route. But go on, you do you!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake your experience and the insight you've been providing to this forum is fantastic, but you're coming off a bit arrogant here.
Just like OP doesn't know you and your experience, you don't know them and their experience.
Other people without IE tuning experience telling someone who is asking specifically for IE tuning feedback to forget about IE is kinda silly. You could let people ask and learn without being condescending. But don't mind me I'm just another no-name user here, and I have an IE tune, I must need advice 🤷‍♂️

I’m blunt and to the point no matter what the situation, take it or leave it.

I explained right off the bat that I wasn’t going into detail as to why IE isn’t a good choice. He could’ve taken that as a tally towards no, don’t go with IE & moved on to those with feedback claiming it was a good idea.

As for the guy you called out for still recommending EQT the OP never once acknowledged that EQT offers OTS tunes which come highly recommended. Don’t want advice or options? Don’t ask questions on public forums.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I’m blunt and to the point no matter what the situation, take it or leave it.

I explained right off the bat that I wasn’t going into detail as to why IE isn’t a good choice. He could’ve taken that as a tally towards no, don’t go with IE & moved on to those with feedback claiming it was a good idea.

As for the guy you called out for still recommending EQT the OP never once acknowledged that EQT offers OTS tunes which come highly recommended. Don’t want advice or options? Don’t ask questions on public forums.
Dude. You still don't get it.

Do I need to quote your entire first post? Jesus, I feel like I'm taking fucking crazy pills.

I didn't ask for advice. I asked for experience and input related to a specific tuner. You gave me an MQB 101 lesson like I just appeared out of thin air yesterday.

Regardless of which tunes EQT has in their arsenal, I specifically stated "please don't recommend EQT as I will not be going that route"

The problem here is you just assume. You assume that everyone else is stupid. That's just not the case bud. BTW - You still haven't offered up anything useful, at all.

Reactions: krs
Status
Not open for further replies.