GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering intake

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone recently purchased an Integrated Engineering intake for their GTI or R? Especially a 2019 R? How did it work out? Thanks for the replies.
And ..... anyone have any info as to whether this modification will cancel the card warranty? I’ve heard the dealers try to do this for almost any reason? Thanks again

Dr Dad

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
17 Golf R 6MT
Can't speak to the MK7 intake, but I had the MK6 intake and it was fantastic, the sound was amazing. Intakes themselves don't really add much power, more of a sound modification. You can swap your filter with a high flow filter if you want the slight power increase.
IE has also put out a revised version on the intake that pulls air from both sides of the front of the car so the newer intakes should theoretically perform better. IE as a company will always get my recommendation, their products and especially their customer service are fantastic.
And ..... anyone have any info as to whether this modification will cancel the card warranty? I’ve heard the dealers try to do this for almost any reason? Thanks again
This will entirely depend on the dealer. Some dealers are cool with modifications (some even offer ECU tuning!), some are not. A reasonable dealership would know that an intake should not ruin any warranties, but again this depends on the dealer.

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
I was going to pull the trigger on one of these but I have never liked that 90 degree bend at the end with the filter. Factory doesn't have this. I'm not saying it makes a difference in flow, but in any other arena a bend hurts flow. Coming from an LS background I know that an otherwise identical intake on my truck but one adding a 90 to change the filter location affected MAF readings. ( i know we dont have a MAF) Just food for thought.
Although I love the turbo noises, I ultimately chose an R600 because its sealed. And in airflow tests on mygolfmk7.com the two flowed the same.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
... its an intake. Its gonna work great. And for the warranty, its a reversible mod.

I got one, mostly cause i like the style fit and finish but serjously any intake does the same exact thing and any open intake will sound the same.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Can't speak to the MK7 intake, but I had the MK6 intake and it was fantastic, the sound was amazing. Intakes themselves don't really add much power, more of a sound modification. You can swap your filter with a high flow filter if you want the slight power increase.
IE has also put out a revised version on the intake that pulls air from both sides of the front of the car so the newer intakes should theoretically perform better. IE as a company will always get my recommendation, their products and especially their customer service are fantastic.

This will entirely depend on the dealer. Some dealers are cool with modifications (some even offer ECU tuning!), some are not. A reasonable dealership would know that an intake should not ruin any warranties, but again this depends on the dealer.
It's not up to the dealer. Only VW can approve or deny a warranty claim. I haven't heard of anyone getting denied because of an intake.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I have it on my 19 R. Fits great, sounds good, lots of juvenile turbo noises that we like. Dealer didn't say anything about it when I brought my car in to have them replace my passenger grab handle

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I took mine in with my intake in multiple times without a word. An intake is a very low risk part so I wouldn't hesitate. Just don't expect much out of it outside of the woosh noises. That's not meant to say is a bad thing bc I love them too lol but just don't expect any real performance boost.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
I took mine in with my intake in multiple times without a word. An intake is a very low risk part so I wouldn't hesitate. Just don't expect much out of it outside of the woosh noises. That's not meant to say is a bad thing bc I love them too lol but just don't expect any real performance boost.
So it does noticeably affect engine noise? I travel to several racetracks 2-300 miles away and I don’t want some annoying freeway engine noise. Thanks for your input

16GTIPP

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed mine this weekend... The v2 version w/ the carbon fiber lid. I was a bit less than impressed with everything. Fitment wise I felt like there was more work than there should be with an intake. I'm also not a huge fan of the turbo inlet hose of the setup. I just feel like there's to much flexible tubing compared to a lot of the other intakes out there. I've also got a somewhat minor fitment issue with my coolant line because of my larger IC. Currently the 2 are touching and I'd need to remove the front bumper (again) in order to adjust it... that's likely just a me problem but certainly something to consider if you decided to keep going w/ the mods.

Lining up the CF lid w/ the rest of the intake was a challenge too. In the end everything fit but it took quite a bit for just an intake. I hope I don't have to take it off any time soon.

I think worst of all was the CEL I got after starting it for the first time. Apparently if you slide that 90 degree elbow to far over the filter then you'll cover the vacuum hose for the intake runners... which will kick a 2004 code. So if you do go the IE route make sure you compensate for it.

By comparison the closed style APR intake I had was much easier to install and just felt better in general. It was much quieter however. The IE intake makes all the noise it's advertised to.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
I just installing the Gen 3 intake about 2 weeks ago, and have overall positive feelings about it, but some frustrations as well. I got the one that spans the entire width of the intake tray, and haven't picked up the CF lid yet. Wasn't planning to, but as you'll read below, that will probably change.

The good:
- It's dead easy to install.
- It looks pretty great, to be honest. It's a fat intake pipe with a giant filter on the end. It looks like it means business. The finish on the tray is actually really nice as well.
- Holy crap does it ever increase the intake noises.
- But seriously, holy crap are they ever loud now.
- WOT intake noise is amazing now.
- Blow off noises are hugely increased, to the point at which you would think that you had a BOV in your car.
- Listening to your stock diverter valve going nuts at full boost is kind of awesome.
- Its surprisingly quiet on the highway, especially how loud everything gets.
- When some asshole turns out in front of you in an intersection and you have to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision, and you grab the next lane and speed by him annoyed, your intake will now let him know that he's a dick.

The bad:
- More specifically, your car doesn't just build steady boost under throttle like a tuner car from the 90s would. It's way more complicated than that, and as such, builds boost a little more aggressively at mid-throttle than you might anticipate. With this intake, you will hear that. A lot.
- You need to gently accelerate while doing 50km/h to get ahead of someone in traffic? Well, your new intake will shout at the top of its lungs. Going up a gentle hill? Whoosh! Hill is over? PPPPPPSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT!
- The steep hills on the highway result in some pretty aggressive intake noise. I'm sure that I'll tire of it, but right now it's hilarious. Also, people in minivans look at you strange when you pass them while making loud intake noises.

The ugly.
- IE, what the hell is happening on the driver's side of this intake bracket? You don't have ANY lip to push the bracket against the frame of the car above the rad? You didn't bother to give us anything to screw into to actually hold it all in place?! You put one on the left side than then what, got too lazy to finish designing the damn thing? You think that tension from the tiny little set screws connecting pieces will hold everything down? This was just lazy designing.
- You'll want some sticky foam strips to put under the intake tray to keep it from rattling like crazy against the frame of the car, right where it sits above the rad. Otherwise, you WILL hear it.
- I'm not even going to start about how the side and bottom of the filter aren't contained within the intake tray, and that it will definitely result in higher IAT in the summer. I knew that when I bought it, although it could have been designed in a manner to resolve the issue.

The verdict:
- Honestly, I like it. Yes, it's excessive. Yes, it's silly. Yes, it will result in higher intake temps. Yes there are better ways to spend your money. But the noise. It's just so addictive. This is a hot hatch, and it should be at least a little obnoxious!
- I'll be getting the CF lid, as I suspect that it will reduce some of the noise at lower throttle, while keeping noise at heavier throttle, which would be perfect. It should also help hold the tray down, to make up for some lazy designing.

Last edited:

0x52

Nice review. That mirrors my experience with the intake on a GTI.

Also not a fan of how the intake bracket just flaps around on the drivers side. I will probably end up designing my own bracket for it. That should get rid of any rattling as well.

(R)Rated

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I just installing the Gen 3 intake about 2 weeks ago, and have overall positive feelings about it, but some frustrations as well. I got the one that spans the entire width of the intake tray, and haven't picked up the CF lid yet. Wasn't planning to, but as you'll read below, that will probably change.

The good:
- It's dead easy to install.
- It looks pretty great, to be honest. It's a fat intake pipe with a giant filter on the end. It looks like it means business. The finish on the tray is actually really nice as well.
- But seriously, holy crap are they ever loud now.
- WOT intake noise is amazing now.
- Blow off noises are hugely increased, to the point at which you would think that you had a BOV in your car.
- Listening to your stock diverter valve going nuts at full boost is kind of awesome.
- Its surprisingly quiet on the highway, especially how loud everything gets.
- When some asshole turns out in front of you in an intersection and you have to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision, and you grab the next lane and speed by him annoyed, your intake will now let him know that he's a dick.

The bad:
- More specifically, your car doesn't just build steady boost under throttle like a tuner car from the 90s would. It's way more complicated than that, and as such, builds boost a little more aggressively at mid-throttle than you might anticipate. With this intake, you will hear that. A lot.
- You need to gently accelerate while doing 50km/h to get ahead of someone in traffic? Well, your new intake will shout at the top of its lungs. Going up a gentle hill? Whoosh! Hill is over? PPPPPPSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT!
- The steep hills on the highway result in some pretty aggressive intake noise. I'm sure that I'll tire of it, but right now it's hilarious. Also, people in minivans look at you strange when you pass them while making loud intake noises.

The ugly.
- IE, what the hell is happening on the driver's side of this intake bracket? You don't have ANY lip to push the bracket against the frame of the car above the rad? You didn't bother to give us anything to screw into to actually hold it all in place?! You put one on the left side than then what, got too lazy to finish designing the damn thing? You think that tension from the tiny little set screws connecting pieces will hold everything down? This was just lazy designing.
- You'll want some sticky foam strips to put under the intake tray to keep it from rattling like crazy against the frame of the car, right where it sits above the rad. Otherwise, you WILL hear it.
- I'm not even going to start about how the side and bottom of the filter aren't contained within the intake tray, and that it will definitely result in higher IAT in the summer. I knew that when I bought it, although it could have been designed in a manner to resolve the issue.

The verdict:
- Honestly, I like it. Yes, it's excessive. Yes, it's silly. Yes, it will result in higher intake temps. Yes there are better ways to spend your money. But the noise. It's just so addictive. This is a hot hatch, and it should be at least a little obnoxious!
- I'll be getting the CF lid, as I suspect that it will reduce some of the noise at lower throttle, while keeping noise at heavier throttle, which would be perfect. It should also help hold the tray down, to make up for some lazy designing.
138020696_219628583102992_1794720334687522147_n.jpg

I just installed mine. They include a mounting bolt which helps, I have not noticed any rattles at all. I'm not sure why they didn't include it that way, but at least they addressed it with the lid.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
View attachment 201029

I just installed mine. They include a mounting bolt which helps, I have not noticed any rattles at all. I'm not sure why they didn't include it that way, but at least they addressed it with the lid.
That CF lid really brings it all together, I just wish that it wasn't basically as much as the intake itself. I suspect that it adds structure to the entire system, and resolves some of the issues that I've seen.