GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering Intake Rusting

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
Rust on my car? Not a spot, it’s meticulous. That’s the issue I have with this, car looks great, open the hood and see the rust and it’s like “eh”, little sloppy.

It is sloppy lol.
do you mean like rock chips, where I would use touch up paint to fix it? Because that would be the correct comparison.

this has nothing to do with standards but more so with reality and reasonable expectations.

I’m not seeing the comparison, but whatever you think lol.

If I had bought this intake I’d be pretty bummed out that they used crappy steel. Why not use aluminum? And also that they didn’t paint it enough, which would be crucial since they are using plain steel. That’s my two cents..

The Butcher

Autocross Champion
I can testify first hand that IE intakes are absolute garbage.

Installed one on a buddies R. Upon lightly, and I mean lightly tightening the air filter clamp, the paint began to crack. This was with a 1/4 drive ratchet barely using any pressure.

It really doesn't surprise me that the coating was thin enough to allow rust. I'm pretty sure it's nothing more than a thin coat of crinkle black similar to rattle can quality. What really surprises me is that they used mild steel rather than aluminum, given the price.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
That helps me make my decision on downpipe and intercooler.
Look at unitronic, very satisfied with both of those components, personally. Should have just gone with their CF airbox setup and make it the trifecta. I didn’t intend to make this a roast but if people were in agreeance and had personal problems of their own, it made me feel a little better about my displeasure.

manapuaman

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI DSG
On a useless product no less.
Lol sorry I old enough to have witnessed the space shuttle disaster, Takata airbags, Firestone, OJ trial etc. Myself, I forgot to put the drain plug back on before refilling 5 qts of oil and a small mistake can make for one bad day. The look on my face seeing oil pool around my feet was probably priceless.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I love how we see one person get a smidgen of surface rust and suddenly, IE is totally CANCELED!!!! :eek:

seriously. They make one the best intercoolers and downpipes on the market.

meanwhile, I had no issues when I had my IE intake.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
IE makes a good DP.

I got one of the first DPs from IE. Nice unit! Then the flex joint sprung a small leak and they decided to replace it for me. The replacement was constructed with less care and used thinner v band flanges. Those flanges once welded on (not flush to the pipe like the original was) warped from the heat and created an uneven mounting surface.

I called IE and they sent out another replacement. The second one had showed the same level of quality concerns (not like the first batch which was my original one) and this time the tabs on the DP that mount to the engine bracket were welded on 1/4" too high making the DP not align with the turbo housing.

IE asked if they could send out a 3rd. I passed and kept my original one. I spent a good deal of time combing over the two replacement DPs from IE and they have quality control issues in production. My original is of great quality while the replacements look haphazardly thrown together.