GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering Intake Rusting

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Have had the first iteration of the IE Intake for less than a year now and am getting rusting/flaking along the edges. I’ve contacted them about it, but am I being too harsh? My concern is the less than one year of ownership and paying $300+ for an item that looks rather trashy under the hood. I’ve attached a few pictures for reference.

44842B33-B0DF-4FFE-A9C6-6BA0E555E287.jpeg8EC36B15-D5D3-4208-8FF1-558CCF0B71D4.jpeg4651F1EF-CB4F-4CAD-BA79-D1CE50C1CD5E.jpeg

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Typical happened to me on my Mk6 IE intake they won't do anything.

Elcheapo Loco

Ready to race!
For $300 that's a tough one to swallow. Call them up and give them the facts. Be nice but firm about expecting better quality. Rusting within a year should be considered "workmanship" issue. Personally I don't think it's out of line to ask for a replacement.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Well that sucks, i just got mine a few months ago. gonna check it out soon and see how it looks so far.

I have one on my MK6 for a good few years and it seems to be holding up just fine

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, I was polite, just made it a point to state that if this is one year, what about two, three, etc. The edges I can make a little bit more aesthetically pleasing with perhaps some weather stripping. The inner pieces not so much. But yet again, I’d expect a little more behind the name.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
Sounds like a wrong choose of material. Considering IE is in SLC, where it snows... maybe they should of chosen stainless steel instead of carbon steel to avoid corrosion from being in the rust belt, that would have added additional cost.

They'll probably want you to drop another $300 for their carbon fiber lid so you don't have to look at the rust.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
This isn't the second version of the intake, so the cover is useless, but I assume you're right. Still haven't received a response in a few days. I'll wait and see. If not, smear campaign in full effect, lol, just kidding.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Fix it and paint it.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
You’re right, man, I get it. Couldn’t they have used some type of plastic/abs compound that would resist heat? The stock airbox isn’t metal. I’ll just chalk it up to a bad purchase.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
You think that’s a good model for business? We sold you a piece of shit for $300 with the durability to last less than a year? First and last of their overpriced products I’ll buy.

Did you use your hard earn dollars for this too?