GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering Downpipe

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Has anyone ordered one yet or seen one in person? It's fairly new and I can't find any reviews online or anything on here. I know functionally, a DP is a DP and the quality of the cat is the biggest variable, but I like that it's cast and uses the stock cat location. I'd love to hear someone else's experience with it, especially while it's still on sale.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Has anyone ordered one yet or seen one in person? It's fairly new and I can't find any reviews online or anything on here. I know functionally, a DP is a DP and the quality of the cat is the biggest variable, but I like that it's cast and uses the stock cat location. I'd love to hear someone else's experience with it, especially while it's still on sale.

It was just released a week or so ago, and this sale is an "intro" sale price. I doubt you're going to get many reviews at this point.

I'm highly considering it for my car, previously I was sold on the 034 piece after they dropped the MSRP to $900 from $1100. For all the reasons you stated I like the style and construction, and if you're ready to buy, don't hesitate. 7/2 is the end of the sale!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I guess I'll be the guinea pig, order placed. I'll update once I get it and get it installed.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I wouldn’t worry much about the quality. As long as they use the metal they say they used and they didn’t botch the CAD design, it’s just a curved piece of pipe. The cat they use is really the only unknown

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
One of the things I have realized with researching a catted DP is going to be placement is critical. Seems that the closer is it to OE (close to turbo) the fewer the problems such as CELs, use of spacers, smell, emissions etc. The IE uses a "race" style catalyst that has fewer cells to help with flow. It being close-coupled to the turbo does allow for a faster light-off, thus reducing smell and emissions, and also allows for proper post cat placement of the O2 sensor without need for a spacer to "fool" the ECU. Some manufacturers are using a larger catalyst that is located downstream to make up for the loss of catalyzing efficiency. This seems to be done more from a cost and ease of manufacture standpoint than anything else. Because of the more downstream cat location, some pop CELs, some smell more, some won't pass emissions tests, or other issues. Seems to be more difficult to package a catalyst in the OE location, but overall, you should get better results regardless of the cat size or type if they use something decent. Precious metal matrix catalysts are very similar in their performance if placed correctly. IE uses this type of catalyst placement and I would suspect few will have any issues with it.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Some random thoughts about downpipes while I wait for this to ship: I have seen several turbo failures documented on here where there was either a housing failure (crack) or the turbine made contact with the housing. Initially, I was set on getting a DP that included the factory mounting locations just because I prefer sticking to the OEM design where possible, but I started thinking about it from an engineering standpoint and now I'm convinced those mounting points are critical to the design. Without the bolts holding the DP to the engine block, the turbo outlet flange becomes the stressed member that supports the pipe in combination with the grommited mount at the underbody. This means as the engine and exhaust move, it is torquing the turbine housing with lots of relative movement between the two. I'm pretty sure this constant stress and movement could cause housing cracks or bending resulting in turbine contact with the housing. With the DP bolted to the engine block however, you remove most of this load and apply it to the block instead, which is much more robust. I know tons of people are running DP's without this bracket and haven't had issues, but given enough power, enough movement and enough time, I see this becoming a long term issue. Just my 2 cents.

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Some random thoughts about downpipes while I wait for this to ship: I have seen several turbo failures documented on here where there was either a housing failure (crack) or the turbine made contact with the housing. Initially, I was set on getting a DP that included the factory mounting locations just because I prefer sticking to the OEM design where possible, but I started thinking about it from an engineering standpoint and now I'm convinced those mounting points are critical to the design. Without the bolts holding the DP to the engine block, the turbo outlet flange becomes the stressed member that supports the pipe in combination with the grommited mount at the underbody. This means as the engine and exhaust move, it is torquing the turbine housing with lots of relative movement between the two. I'm pretty sure this constant stress and movement could cause housing cracks or bending resulting in turbine contact with the housing. With the DP bolted to the engine block however, you remove most of this load and apply it to the block instead, which is much more robust. I know tons of people are running DP's without this bracket and haven't had issues, but given enough power, enough movement and enough time, I see this becoming a long term issue. Just my 2 cents.

Yep! Precision Turbo talks about this. Those mounts are important as far as I'm concerned. https://youtu.be/yve303tuaHo?t=7m30s

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Drag Race Newbie
Perhaps I misheard, but he also says not to have both a chassis and engine mounting point (which OEM does)?

Basically you don't want anything that will put leverage on the end of the inlet or exhaust side (side load). A DP hanging off a turbo is creating a side load. The DPs that use the engine mount create much less if any hang off the outlet.

I have heard, "oh it's OK since the aftermarket DP has no cat in that location and is much lighter" Thats not the issue, the issue is a hot turbo being yanked on when you accelerate or decelerate as the exhaust and engine bounce around.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Perhaps I misheard, but he also says not to have both a chassis and engine mounting point (which OEM does)?

The chassis mounting point is grommited to allow for movement. The one at the cat bolts to the engine, as does the turbo.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Basically you don't want anything that will put leverage on the end of the inlet or exhaust side (side load). A DP hanging off a turbo is creating a side load. The DPs that use the engine mount create much less if any hang off the outlet.

I have heard, "oh it's OK since the aftermarket DP has no cat in that location and is much lighter" Thats not the issue, the issue is a hot turbo being yanked on when you accelerate or decelerate as the exhaust and engine bounce around.

Total speculation without data Bro...

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Can anyone show me a case with an OEM turbo hot side housing cracked? I’ve literally never once heard of it.

The turbo failures I’ve seen all had one thing in common. The shaft and or bearings failed causing the wheel to contact the housing (most likely user error, because who wants to wait around on oil to reach operational temp when you can pop turbos instead)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Total speculation without data Bro...

This.

The flex pipe eliminates the concern he’s pushing being an issue.

Outside of rumors that a certain brand aftermarket turbo cracks hot side housings (their production pieces, not built by a turbo manufacturer) has been cracking is much easier to see, problem would be the casting not the design.

If you really think a 15lbs dp with a flex pipe can break or bend 0.50” <= cast iron exhaust housings id seriously doubt your engineering knowledge