GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Integrated Engineering Downpipe Leak

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
So in December of 2019 I purchased an IE downpipe, brand new from ECS. Had it installed and didn't have any issues for over a year. Quality seemed great and it sounds good. A few months ago I started to notice an exhaust leak developing. My mechanic found a loose clamp so we figured it was just that but the leak still wasn't fixed. He finally noticed that there is a small leak coming from the flex pipe. It doesn't look like much but the leak is very noticeable around 2500 rpm. It gets a little better after the car is hot but it never goes away and I am tired of listening to it. I reached out to IE about it and they said that it is out of their 1 year warranty so they can't do anything about it. At this point I'm thinking the best way to fix it is by having an exhaust shop cut out the old flex pipe and weld in a new one, which I am sure won't be cheap. If anyone has any recommendations or other ideas on how to fix it, do tell.

Attachments

• 20210712_162803.jpg
    20210712_162803.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 329

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I know it has only been a year and that sucks but I would upgrade the downpipe to a trackslag at this point. Replacing the DP is likely going to be less of a headache than cutting and rewelding the current one.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
I know it has only been a year and that sucks but I would upgrade the downpipe to a trackslag at this point. Replacing the DP is likely going to be less of a headache than cutting and rewelding the current one.
Yeah that's actually one of the other options I was considering but the catted version is just too much money for me right now. I don't want to just throw away an $800 downpipe ether, unless someone would be willing to buy it with the leak. I'll get some quotes on repairing it, and if I am able to sell it then I may just get a catback for now and then get the trackslag next year.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
I’m surprised it didn’t crack at the weld, those “fish eyes” are just a series of tack welds with no filler material aka damn near transparently thin.
That's interesting. How many hours of labor do you think it would take a shop to repair this? I live 10 minutes away from the Lou's custom exhaust headquarters in Manchester so I'll likely get a quote from them.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
That's interesting. How many hours of labor do you think it would take a shop to repair this? I live 10 minutes away from the Lou's custom exhaust headquarters in Manchester so I'll likely get a quote from them.
2-3 hours. It would be a pain in thee ass, since IE uses excessively long flex pipe you’d need to cut beyond those junk weld, add straight tubing back and a new flex section. All while keeping a 3D part lined up so it’ll still fit when they’re done.

There’s a reason why complex parts are built on weld fixtures. If they’re a little bit off it’s never going to fit the car properly.

Yup but everyone seems to think those are the best welds.

Nobody thinks that, people who don’t know just don’t know any better.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
2-3 hours. It would be a pain in thee ass, since IE uses excessively long flex pipe you’d need to cut beyond those junk weld, add straight tubing back and a new flex section. All while keeping a 3D part lined up so it’ll still fit when they’re done.

There’s a reason why complex parts are built on weld fixtures. If they’re a little bit off it’s never going to fit the car properly.

Nobody thinks that, people who don’t know just don’t know any better.
Well damn, thanks for your insight Jake. My mechanic recommended a shop to me and I called them yesterday. They quoted me $180 for the repair but I forgot to mention that it was an unusual size so that price could go up. It's going in tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

SaucyMuffin

Go Kart Newbie
I don’t want to pile on here but I just can’t help myself. IE is a shit company with shit customer service, and product. I say this when dealing with them when my air intake heat shield rusted shortly after a year of install. The nail in the coffin for me was the weeks of back and forth with them finally saying just buy some nail polish and paint over the rust. GTFO, could’ve sent me a new heat shield, I would’ve payed half the cost even, but after all that, please dude, just dump that hunk at the local dump and be done with them.

ZachMK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 6MT
I don’t want to pile on here but I just can’t help myself. IE is a shit company with shit customer service, and product. I say this when dealing with them when my air intake heat shield rusted shortly after a year of install. The nail in the coffin for me was the weeks of back and forth with them finally saying just buy some nail polish and paint over the rust. GTFO, could’ve sent me a new heat shield, I would’ve payed half the cost even, but after all that, please dude, just dump that hunk at the local dump and be done with them.
Yeah, I'm not too happy with them right now. Like I said before, I just can't bring myself to throw away an $800 downpipe. If it can be fixed for around $200 then I'd rather do that for now, and then next year I may move to a trackslag. I'm turned away from buying anything from them again though. I also love this quote, "OEM style flex section - allows for more adjustment and won’t fail" in the description of the downpipe on their website. You'd think they would care if a part that they say won't fail, fails.

DThissen

Ready to race!
Yeah, I'm not too happy with them right now. Like I said before, I just can't bring myself to throw away an $800 downpipe. If it can be fixed for around $200 then I'd rather do that for now, and then next year I may move to a trackslag. I'm turned away from buying anything from them again though. I also love this quote, "OEM style flex section - allows for more adjustment and won’t fail" in the description of the downpipe on their website. You'd think they would care if a part that they say won't fail, fails.
You could always post on some of their Facebook groups, maybe a bit of negative publicity would change their minds. I guess people are right in saying they are a good advertising company.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
Wow, thats the first time I've really seen an up close of the welds on an IE downpipe.

Thats pretty disappointing.

DThissen

Ready to race!
Wow, thats the first time I've really seen an up close of the welds on an IE downpipe.

Thats pretty disappointing.
Especially for the price. In Canada they sell for about $1050 and a CTS downpipe with a HFC is around $750. I wouldn't expect the IE one to fail.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
IMO I'd check your motor mounts too. That DP is obviously kinda shit to begin with, but worn-out motor mounts can allow extra movement that could have cracked it.

And yea my CTS DP I got on sale for 450 has far better welds and has lasted through 3 years of New England salt.