GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake valve cleaning at 130k

tommygun1

Passed Driver's Ed
I decided to clean the intake valves over the weekend. Here are some before and after pictures.

Before.
E4D19170-C4F3-4686-A3DF-79EE8C41BCF9.jpeg

DE8EEBA1-B6C5-4EBC-8539-F721512CC6D4.jpeg

31B4E6A6-711D-4449-8DDC-2736C034BACA.jpeg

3F2F26D4-3289-49A2-94A8-1E7115D85259.jpeg

After some partial cleaning
16AD5EEC-B594-4B8A-9A43-2A897BA7FB87.jpeg

After-

CC9622ED-90AE-49F6-921C-81C0C7E0F161.png

tommygun1

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, big improvement! Were there any obvious symptoms/issues or was it just a good time to do it? Did you notice an improvement afterwards?

No symptoms at all, I’ve just seen the aftermath of DI and new it was in my best interest to clean the intake valves out sooner rather than later. Also prepping for turbo upgrade so it was on the todo list.

Huge improvements...it honestly feels like a different car. Throttle Response is instant, and turbo seems to spool faster.

tommygun1

Passed Driver's Ed
god damn...

why does the first pic look like a twig is on the left valve and a leaf on the right valve

😂

Lmao NE winters are rough man. There’s layers of debris in my engine bay. I’m guessing some got dislodged when I took of the manifold.

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Was this a media blast clean or soak and scrub method? Are there any issues with using the soak and clean method, for instance if the some of valve cleaning solution gets past the valves. Could that be a problem? I only ask because I thought I read somewhere that it could happen and maybe has some adverse effects.

tommygun1

Passed Driver's Ed
Was this a media blast clean or soak and scrub method? Are there any issues with using the soak and clean method, for instance if the some of valve cleaning solution gets past the valves. Could that be a problem? I only ask because I thought I read somewhere that it could happen and maybe has some adverse effects.

This was cleaned using a combination of scraping with pick tools and also using a walnut media blaster. Which is what I’d recommend for anyone looking to clean their intake valves.

I also read somewhere on this forum advising against using chemicals to clean the intake valves. I think they cited the possibility of it leaking into the cylinders.