GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Insurance Rates Shooting Up

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
Yup renewal rates were going to increase over 40% for me, shopped around a bit and got better coverage elsewhere for 60% the price....with insurance generally, just shop around every few years.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Not entirely relevant because it's not about price hikes, but to make everyone feel better... I pay Geico ~$485 a month, living in Brooklyn. I had a 'no fault' accident in my previous car, a GTI also insured by Geico, in 2021 for which they paid out a LOT of money (car was totaled, I had big medical bills).

Got a quote from State Farm recently, was over $500 a month. Insurance is absolutely killing me. Anyone got any tips on how to get a better deal, I'm all ears!
Get an independent insurance broker. Somehow my rates keep going down year after year.

Currently have a q7 and the gti on insurance for 300/unlimited, plus a home policy, via travelers. I pay 880$ twice per year for the cars. <150$/mo for two cars. Paying twice per year also saves like 15$/car/mo or something silly like that, so why not.

pinyin

Car(s)
21 GTI SE DSG
Not entirely relevant because it's not about price hikes, but to make everyone feel better... I pay Geico ~$485 a month, living in Brooklyn. I had a 'no fault' accident in my previous car, a GTI also insured by Geico, in 2021 for which they paid out a LOT of money (car was totaled, I had big medical bills).

Got a quote from State Farm recently, was over $500 a month. Insurance is absolutely killing me. Anyone got any tips on how to get a better deal, I'm all ears!
most people in the city just switch their license to NJ or PA and register their cars there. that's why you see so many of those plates driving around.

also, a lot of those "swim team" channels from BK, BX, QB that are on youtube all run replica NY plates to avoid tolling plazas and school zone cameras.

pinyin

Car(s)
21 GTI SE DSG
that's technically insurance fraud lol

they could even deny a claim if they start sniffing around, maybe delete that....

(Unless you can make the argument of being a resident of both states, moving back and forth throughout the year)

the real insurance fraud here is the rates constantly increasing, and then the insurance company not paying out the full amount for repairs after you get hit by an uninsured motorist.

going to bat for and defending corrupt multi billion dollar corporations definitely isn't "the move".

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Yeah it's "anti-american" and "anti-capitalist", but insurance companies should all be forced to be nonprofit. Whether health, car, home, life, or otherwise.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

they could even deny a claim if they start sniffing around, maybe delete that....

(Unless you can make the argument of being a resident of both states, moving back and forth throughout the year)

I have a secondary residence in Idaho.

I’m not defrauding the insurance company.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I just had to write an article for LinkedIn on the rising costs of repairs. There's a ton of factors going into rate increases lately but the long and short of it is repair costs have gone up significantly in the last few years. Parts shortages, technician shortages and the increased technology in cars all play a factor. All of the top 10 carriers are laying of people in masses and planning another round of layoffs after Thanksgiving.

• Sad
Reactions: krs

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Well looks like I'm switching to Mercury, they're quoting $152.76 a month for slightly higher coverage than I have with Geico...
Good Lord don't use Mercury. They screwed me over twice, long story. In the '90s I had a roommate who sold Mercury for an agent - who did he carry for his own insurance? State Farm. No way he'd insure with Mercury himself, and this was a guy who sold it for a living. He knew firsthand how awful they were handling claims.

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Leave Brooklyn, get married, buy a home with a garage.
Will you marry me

most people in the city just switch their license to NJ or PA and register their cars there. that's why you see so many of those plates driving around.

also, a lot of those "swim team" channels from BK, BX, QB that are on youtube all run replica NY plates to avoid tolling plazas and school zone cameras.
Yeah I'm just worried about what happens when you make a claim and they realize you live in NY...? But clearly enough people do this that it works. Didn't know about the replica plates or the need for them though

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
the real insurance fraud here is the rates constantly increasing, and then the insurance company not paying out the full amount for repairs after you get hit by an uninsured motorist.

going to bat for and defending corrupt multi billion dollar corporations definitely isn't "the move".

Lol you got that from my original post? that I am defending the insurance company? I was letting him know what it could be perceived as and that he could get his claims denied, all I was doing was trying to help him.

I was in a similar situation once

Prefect, you should be fine then

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP

Doesn't your Insurance ask where you "garage" your vehicles at though?, mine does and it would require me to garage them at the address I live at. You have two, so idk how that works. Plus, I have that stupid app that lets them track you for a discount, and where I live, I need every discount.

I've always thought of registering cars under a business name, that way technically the cars could be anywhere, and might get cheaper rates as a business entity rather than a personal rate. Either way, insurance costs way to much. There is a reason executives in the big Insurance Companies have top floor big offices with Porsche GT3's parked in the garage. If their profits were just ok, they would drive normal cars like the rest of us peasants.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nationwide
3 cars and home umbrella
365/mo