GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing poly dogbone insert

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
I’m planning to instal a Powerflex 70 insert upper/lower (non-hybrid) on my 18 1.8T auto. I am planning to use car ramps but afraid the engine will shift when I take off the bolt (this happened on my 10 GTI when installing a new mount ?) Anyone have this issue?

Also what torque when reinstalling the bolt? thanks

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Mine shifted. I ended up taking the next two bolts ahead of the dog-bone out and working it back up into place. It made the job twice as long but still only took about 45 minutes.

Had I put the bolt right back in quickly, it would never have happened. I waited and that's what allowed it to happen. Have your insert ready or plan on taking the other bolts out and prying against the subframe to move the trans forward a little with a bar. The car must be safely supported during this.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
Yah ok that’s what I figured. I think the car has to be level while up in the air, so I’d have to get creative or just struggle with it after it shifts like on my old car. Do you remember how much torque on main bolt ? Thanks

Hotfart

Ready to race!
The torque specs also require an additional 90 degrees on all three bolts associated with the dogbone mount.
IIRC, the +90 degrees is only with brand new stretch bolts. If you're reusing the old bolt, or by chance are using non-stretch bolts, then only torque to spec and do not turn the additional 90 degrees.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
If it does rock it's pretty easy to push/pry into place. It shouldn't rock more than an inch or so. Make sure the car is in neutral.

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie
I sure hope if the engine shifts it’s easier than on my 10 GTI. The only thing that worked for me a couple years ago was summoning my He-man powers and with one arm, one leg, and some serious pushing while trying to put in the bolt with my other hand - all while on my back. It was exhausting.

anotherwhitemk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
IIRC, the +90 degrees is only with brand new stretch bolts. If you're reusing the old bolt, or by chance are using non-stretch bolts, then only torque to spec and do not turn the additional 90 degrees.
Yes, that sounds right. Good old torque to yield bolts ha.