GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed H&R OE Sport Springs

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Hi All,

I wanted to share my experience in case others are also wanting a slightly sharper GTI while maintaining daily drive-ability.
After months of research, I installed H&R OE Sport Springs on stock shocks/struts (25,700 miles on the car).
handr 5.jpg

I used the Audi TT spring pads in the rear to avoid reverse rake (see thick TT pad left, thin stock pad right) and did not replace the strut bearings. There are no squeaks or rattles which was a relief.
handr 2.jpg

handr 3.jpg

I'm satisfied with the mild drop and ability to attack an onramp with more confidence while giving up minimal comfort.
handr 4.jpg

The car also has an H&R 24mm rear swaybar which I believe perfectly compliments these springs.
handr 1_LI.jpg

When the time comes, I'll replace the stock dampers with Bilstein B8s, but wanted to get my money's worth out of the stock ones first given the low mileage.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport
Looks good! Perfect drop for these cars. I should have went this way instead of my MSS kit. Would have saved some $. Your stock dampers will work fine with these until your ready or the sachs units are worn out. At .75" your really not gonna bottom them out which is where the damage happens. I am at 41k on th oe units with MSS springs for 30k. Still working fine.

Visceral

Go Kart Newbie
I am running the same springs and rsb but have koni sport dampers. Could not be happier. Adjustability is a plus on the fronts for track days but the rears are a set it and forget it due to not being able to readily adjust the rears without taking it all apart...

XenonGti

Car(s)
Gti 2019
Hi All,

I wanted to share my experience in case others are also wanting a slightly sharper GTI while maintaining daily drive-ability.
After months of research, I installed H&R OE Sport Springs on stock shocks/struts (25,700 miles on the car).
View attachment 166093
I used the Audi TT spring pads in the rear to avoid reverse rake (see thick TT pad left, thin stock pad right) and did not replace the strut bearings. There are no squeaks or rattles which was a relief.
View attachment 166088
View attachment 166092
I'm satisfied with the mild drop and ability to attack an onramp with more confidence while giving up minimal comfort.
View attachment 166091

The car also has an H&R 24mm rear swaybar which I believe perfectly compliments these springs.
View attachment 166090
When the time comes, I'll replace the stock dampers with Bilstein B8s, but wanted to get my money's worth out of the stock ones first given the low mileage.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Just got the same set up finaly today! Rear sway bar and tt pads. I had a question for ya , my rear is a little lower than the front .. is it supposed to be? The shop where i got done told me they could tweak a little to make more equal i was wondering if on your car it was the same?

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Just got the same set up finaly today! Rear sway bar and tt pads. I had a question for ya , my rear is a little lower than the front .. is it supposed to be? The shop where i got done told me they could tweak a little to make more equal i was wondering if on your car it was the same?
Congrats. It definitely makes the drive more dynamic without destroying ride quality. Yes, even with the TT pads, it sits a tiny bit lower in the rear. I’ve considered doubling up on pads to level things, but it doesn’t really bother me.

XenonGti

Car(s)
Gti 2019
Looks good! Perfect drop for these cars. I should have went this way instead of my MSS kit. Would have saved some $. Your stock dampers will work fine with these until your ready or the sachs units are worn out. At .75" your really not gonna bottom them out which is where the damage happens. I am at 41k on th oe units with MSS springs for 30k. Still working fine.
I was expecting .75 but it actually more like 1 , specially the rear .

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Do you still have to adjust headlight levels with the H&R OEs, or is it not enough of a change to worry about it with this drop?

XenonGti

Car(s)
Gti 2019
Congrats. It definitely makes the drive more dynamic without destroying ride quality. Yes, even with the TT pads, it sits a tiny bit lower in the rear. I’ve considered doubling up on pads to level things, but it doesn’t really bother me.
Thanks for the reply at least am not the only one :) i heard that the way the fender are done in back on german cars make the car look lower in the back but actually it’s the same not sure if it’s true

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I might have to ajust a little not much. This morning i noticed a small change , did you ajust your’s ?
I'm still on stock springs. I have the auto-leveling lights as well, and I'm considering the H&R OEs...was just wondering if manual adjustment is still necessary since the drop isn't as drastic as other springs. Thx!

XenonGti

Car(s)
Gti 2019
I'm still on stock springs. I have the auto-leveling lights as well, and I'm considering the H&R OEs...was just wondering if manual adjustment is still necessary since the drop isn't as drastic as other springs. Thx!
I just ajust mind last night. Actually the drop is more then what they say. .76. It’s more like 1 i would say even the rear is very low to me a little to low. I spoke to the shop they might change my rear perchs i had the audi ones but they will find someting thicker i guess.