GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Inside front door rubbing

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
I noticed on my 19 GTI the front drivers door is rubbing on two spots. The spot in the middle left paint on the door seal as well, the upper part that is rubbing didn’t leave paint but kinda spidered the paint in the spot looks like. Luckily inside the door but plan on taking it in to fix.

Anyone else had this happen? I did a search and only saw the front fender seal rubbing issue with door and not this. The doors close with a nice sound which is good, just want to fix before causes rust. Attached pictures

Attachments

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
is the seam sealer laid on too thick in that spot? how does it compare to the passenger side?
passenger side has the same spider cracking towards top but no rubbing in middle of door like driver side. I’ll see what dealer says

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
do you guys think this adjustment will be covered under warranty? its a 2019 with 21,000 miles, just want to be prepared

I think the 12 month adjustment period is up so I wasnt sure?

Ghost GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
do you guys think this adjustment will be covered under warranty? its a 2019 with 21,000 miles, just want to be prepared

I think the 12 month adjustment period is up so I wasnt sure?
Of course! That's a manufacturer defect.

Ghost GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Thanks, well when I talked on the phone they said it was out of the 12 month adjustment period and to bring up for them to look at?

So should be covered for door adjustment?
That's usually for noises and rattles. This is 100% an issue. You MAY get some push back but just be firm with them and I don't think VWOA will argue against it.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
I took it in and the service manager took the pics of it and sent to VW for approval. They don't have a body shop in house but would set it up with body shop they use and they would fix/paint those spots on the inside of door.

Question, would this cause an issue on carfax like showing an accident if it went to body shop for this fix?

Ghost GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I took it in and the service manager took the pics of it and sent to VW for approval. They don't have a body shop in house but would set it up with body shop they use and they would fix/paint those spots on the inside of door.

Question, would this cause an issue on carfax like showing an accident if it went to body shop for this fix?
Someone will have to chime in on this, but I do not believe so.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Someone will have to chime in on this, but I do not believe so.
I sent an email to carfax, hopefully they get back to me but I guess you can file a claim with carfax if there is a false report anyway considering this wouldn't be an accident.

joesid

Ready to race!
It shouldn’t, but they can do what they want I suppose. If it’s not filed with insurance, it won’t exist (per my experience). The VW dealer I bought my car from damaged my car, resulting in a fender respray/blend. Nothing on the CARFAX.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
It shouldn’t, but they can do what they want I suppose. If it’s not filed with insurance, it won’t exist (per my experience). The VW dealer I bought my car from damaged my car, resulting in a fender respray/blend. Nothing on the CARFAX.
cool, this is inside the door so no overspray should get on that outer door or blending needed, I’ll make sure of it. Maybe they can even just touch up the spots, we’ll see.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
I see where it’s hitting the door seal when closing the door. There is a little knob on the seal that it’s hitting, added a pic of the little knob on the seal causing the issue.

looking at the door body lines from the outside the drivers side is a little high when comparing to the rear door body lines only by mm’s, but if the door was a little lower there is clearance on the inside of the door for that little knob on the seal.

However the passenger door has the same issue but not quite as bad, the body lines on the outside of door and rear door line up so not sure if that needs adjustment? Only thing I can think of is moving the seal/knob a little higher to match up with the clearance part on the inside of the door.

Drivers side probably needs a combo of both, moving seal/knob a little higher and moving door down a couple mm because there is a gap in the Inside of the door for clearance, just needs to line up.

what do you guys think? Anyway, hope this helps someone else out there who might run into this issue because it’s a fine tolerance if it’s only off a little bit can cause a problem.

Attachments

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
can someone else who has a GTI see if that knob in the seal lines up above where I have a wear mark? As you can see in the pic there is more clearance above my wear mark, wondering if normally it should be higher up.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
so the dealer had to send pics to VW to get approval. Came back denied today, their reasoning was the the seal of the car that was rubbing on the paint on the inside of the door is considered "outside" influence. Anyone have any recommendations on next steps?