GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Initial Observations on the Performance of Neuspeed BBK in Track-Day Environment

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Post-Bleeding
Perform a post-bleeding when:

• The brake pedal travel is too long, or the so-called soft brake pedal.
A second mechanic is required to assist:

• Press the brake pedal forcefully and hold.
  • Open the bleeder valve at the brake caliper.
  • Press the brake pedal down to the floor.
  • Close the bleed valve when the brake pedal is pushed down all the way.
  • Release the brake pedal slowly.
  • This bleeding procedure must be performed 5 times per brake caliper.
  • Bleeding sequence:
  • Left front
  • Right front
  • Left rear
  • Right rear

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Post-Bleeding
Perform a post-bleeding when:

• The brake pedal travel is too long, or the so-called soft brake pedal.
A second mechanic is required to assist:

• Press the brake pedal forcefully and hold.
  • Open the bleeder valve at the brake caliper.
  • Press the brake pedal down to the floor.
  • Close the bleed valve when the brake pedal is pushed down all the way.
  • Release the brake pedal slowly.
  • This bleeding procedure must be performed 5 times per brake caliper.
  • Bleeding sequence:
  • Left front
  • Right front
  • Left rear
  • Right rear

Ah, that's just normal bleeding the brakes then. I thought it was some crazy ABS pump purge procedure or something.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
That’s my go to procedure, check the travel yourself once you think you’re done to confirm, pad should engage in the first 1/8 - 1/4 travel if you perform it perfectly, otherwise perform the procedure again.

Speaking of ABS, if you perform a major service like swapping calipers you can introduce air into the ABS. Activating the ABS will push the air out of it into the lines which you can then bleed out.

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
That’s my go to procedure, check the travel yourself once you think you’re done to confirm, pad should engage in the first 1/8 - 1/4 travel if you perform it perfectly, otherwise perform the procedure again.

Speaking of ABS, if you perform a major service like swapping calipers you can introduce air into the ABS. Activating the ABS will push the air out of it into the lines which you can then bleed out.

Whats the best way to activate the ABS :p ?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I thought OBD11 allowed you to run the abs pump?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you can find the code for that, you deserve a medal. It's almost become urban legend that the coding exists and people have done it

Challenge accepted. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Isn't it 40168? Thats what I'm seeing from another member helping me in my thread

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
I mean, yeah that's where I got the ABS bleed coding from. What do you mean by 40168? That's just the security code for the module being accessed
Yeah I'm pretty sure that code might need to be entered in before doing any changes to that according to the other thread

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
The 40168 code didn't work. I couldn't get the VCDS ABS bleed procedure to work.

I have performed 6 pressure bleeds, 4 two-person bleeds, each followed by a road test that activates ABS, all in accordance with the erWin manual. (The erWin manual does not include an ABS bleed procedure.) I'm still intermittently seeing a few air bubbles during bleeding from all of the calipers. The pedal feels better, engagement is high, and the brakes work well on the street, but I can still (too easily IMHO) force the pedal to the floorboard.

I performed a master cylinder pressure bleed down test, adapting the procedure described in the erWin manual (looking at data acquired by VCDS instead of attaching a pressure gauge to a caliper). In three tests, the first test exhibited excessive pressure loss. The other two did not. I think the first test got into the smaller bore portion of the MC (reached with longer pedal travel) while the other two did not. I'm going to conduct the test a couple of more times to get better confidence in the results.

Still, I've reached the end of my patience and have scheduled an appointment with my favorite VW/Audi indie shop. In talking with them, they said that they have seen similar problems on client cars with high piston count BBKs.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The 40168 code didn't work. I couldn't get the VCDS ABS bleed procedure to work.

I have performed 6 pressure bleeds, 4 two-person bleeds, each followed by a road test that activates ABS, all in accordance with the erWin manual. I'm still intermittently seeing a few air bubbles during bleeding from all of the calipers. The pedal feels better, engagement is high, and the brakes work well on the street, but I can still (too easily IMHO) force the pedal to the floorboard.

I performed a master cylinder pressure bleed down test, adapting the procedure described in the erWin manual (looking at data acquired by VCDS instead of attaching a pressure gauge to a caliper). In three tests, the first test exhibited excessive pressure loss. The other two did not. I think the first test got into the smaller bore portion of the MC (reached with longer pedal travel) while the other two did not. I'm going to conduct the test a couple of more times to get better confidence in the results.

Still, I've reached the end of my patience and have scheduled an appointment with my favorite VW/Audi indie shop. In talking with them, they said that they have seen similar problems on client cars with high piston count BBKs.

My prediction. They find nothing and tell you it's normal.