GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment display suddenly went out

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I did take it to the dealer to see if there was any updated firmware or software. Answer to that was no but they seemed to do a thorough scan. Found a fault in ‘module F5’ and cleared that and confirmed it didn’t return. No idea what that is but satisfied with the service I received.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Well it happened again today. Called the dealer and discussed prior to another appointment. Explained I took video this time. I think he said it could be an ‘OCU unit’ that might need replacing. Do I have that reference correct?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Have a thought on possible (likely?) cause and effect. Two days before this happened I upgraded the original mirror (auto dimming) with equivalent OEM HomeLink auto dimming version for my car. The mirror works perfectly and was plug and play with the original harness in the headliner that previous powered the auto dimming original.

Is coding needed for the car to recognize the different mirror style? It seems if I turn the light switch off and back to Auto the radio comes back on. I know for regular prism mirror replacements people have to run a wire harness from the light switch to the new mirror.

Hoping I’m on the right track but need someone with VAG-COM expertise to let me know. Many thanks.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I did take it to the dealer to see if there was any updated firmware or software. Answer to that was no but they seemed to do a thorough scan. Found a fault in ‘module F5’ and cleared that and confirmed it didn’t return. No idea what that is but satisfied with the service I received.
5F, not F5.

Well it happened again today. Called the dealer and discussed prior to another appointment. Explained I took video this time. I think he said it could be an ‘OCU unit’ that might need replacing. Do I have that reference correct?
That seems to be something to do with CarNet. Not sure what that's got to do with anything...

Have a thought on possible (likely?) cause and effect. Two days before this happened I upgraded the original mirror (auto dimming) with equivalent OEM HomeLink auto dimming version for my car. The mirror works perfectly and was plug and play with the original harness in the headliner that previous powered the auto dimming original.

Is coding needed for the car to recognize the different mirror style? It seems if I turn the light switch off and back to Auto the radio comes back on. I know for regular prism mirror replacements people have to run a wire harness from the light switch to the new mirror.

Hoping I’m on the right track but need someone with VAG-COM expertise to let me know. Many thanks.
Frankly I don't see this being the cause of your issue. Lots of MIBs suffer from random screen failure.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Thanks much for the info. I just think it’s odd this hadn’t happened in 12000 miles until I upgraded the mirror. Still looking to see if there are different VAG-COM settings for different mirror types.

teslas

Passed Driver's Ed
I had my '17 sport radio screen go out numerous times in the first 2 years. It just kind of goes black. Letting the car sit (off) for about 15 min recovers it. I had the dealer upgrade the software a couple of times and now I only had that issue like 1 time.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
This would happen to me occasionally. A reset of headunit would usually resolve, sometimes it would need a 15 minute timeout (like stated above). I have since replaced the headunit due to another issue (unit mysteriously coming on when car was turned off) and it has not occurred since.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Was back at the dealer today. Showed them the video I took. Diagnostics showed the rear camera was again showing faults same as 10 days ago when I first took it in. They replaced the entire screen unit. Pleasantly surprised they had one in stock. Fingers crossed.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Does it happen when you're using Android Auto/Carplay?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Yes but unplugging it has no effect nor does a hard reset.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
And by hard reset you mean holding the power button down for ~10 seconds? Sometimes I'll have to restart my phone if the screen is really acting up but that usually fixes it for me

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Yep. I’ll have occasional problems with CarPlay that require a power button rest to resolve. My problem was screen related where there was power to the devise but only the backlight was on and the screen (LCD) itself was blank.