GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indium Gray Metallic Money Pit Mk7.5R

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Got the car back from the shop. Back on the original turbo, original sensors. Had to deal with some wastegate actuator BS. On an OTS Cobb tune for the RS3 LPFP til I get it tuned on flex and mpi again next year.

I did the haldex pump test and ran the DSG basic settings. Cleared a bunch of codes. Turned off XDS completely. Got an alignment since the subframe was dropped.

1671145282937.png

Still pretty wacky but got an alignment tech who knows what adjustable camber arms are at least.

Get just a hint of diff noise from the black powerflex bushings. Did OE fluids all around, was told to try Motul DCTF/Gear 300. Mechanic suggested doing another DSG service in 500 miles since the Quaife is completely new, so we'll see. Rear is definitely already broken in thanks to @mmdb .

It's cold out and it's on all seasons, but man, corners are fun with real LSDs. Can't wait to see what this is like on a track again.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I wonder if your caster is so off cause the balljoint with your height or even maybe they could be on the wrong sides causing the wheels to sit back some or something, do you have caster bushing? Maybe those were flipped?
Most likely because of the balljoints and still being near stock height. Stock-geometry control arm bushings. The camber was close to identical side to side before, so not sure what happened there. Shouldn't matter once the camber plates and corner balancing is done.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1671228871500.png

V3 catch can setup. Had to run the APR inlet hose temporarily, went to take it off and it broke the fitting on the can. APR is APR and doesn't understand why I wouldn't want to use their hoses, so won't send me a new fitting. Had a VWR can handy and the custom lines fit decently well. Like the dipstick and extra capacity.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1671651800059.png

do88 released their own radiator, which is supposed to fit their intercooler. We'll see!
At some point I'll drop the bumper, try to fit the rad, and then figure out what I'm doing with the oil cooler. Leaning towards biting the bullet and trying the iABED kit. Retaining the OE filter housing is just so much cleaner.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1672637232380.png

Found a small gear oil puddle, looks like a new flange seal is in order. Could be worse, glad I caught it early (only 70 miles on the new diff setup).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Picked the car back up. Seriously kicking myself for not having the seals refreshed during install. Feels amazing in the corners tho. Instead of plowing it feels like you're being pushed from behind.

To-do list before spring:
install CF hood
install radiator, replace coolant bottle (getting coolant warnings)
go back to OEM boost piping, unitronic kit doesn't fit well with the do88 IC and dbv2 tmd.
remove bar-tek cooler/splitter

finish diff break-in, service bevel box
replace dogbone mount (spherical arm is annoying af)

re-install quickfit pros

figure out a tune. would like to get MPI and flex-fuel back.

install rear lower wishbones w/ superpro bushings. camber plates + corner balance.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1673732989061.png

Wild morning, was out running an errand and the downpipe flew off. One trip to the dealer and two to home depot later and it's got a fresh gasket and clamp, but WTF. Was still kinda smoking a bit after tightening it up but hopefully that's just my finger grease on the gloves burning off. Do not want to deal with another turbo job this month.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Look man, I'm not one to usually believe in ghosts or the occult, but I think your car is as close to cursed as they come 🤣

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Look man, I'm not one to usually believe in ghosts or the occult, but I think your car is as close to cursed as they come 🤣
as shipped by VW, my car wasn't that bad.

currently the coolant sensor is being finicky, not uncommon. $15 part, w/e. the other OE failures were also pretty common.
hanon cooper wastegate actuator (both mahle replacements I've used were fine).
2019+ continental injectors. wouldn't surprise me if this is what killed the motor in the long term. bosch replacements are fine.
stock PCV (came with BL revision). I might put another one on at least for the rest of winter, my APR plate seems to have developed a leak.

I mean, sure, the motor blew, but I think that was related to injector failure (short and/or long-term) and tuning. I'd bet this car would be almost entirely headache-free if I never went past a stage 2 tune, intercooler and downpipe.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
ok, maybe it is cursed. seems to have a coolant leak somewhere on the turbo. getting wispy white smoke in the bay, spotted some pink drops on the back of the block.

(un)fortunately it snowed again so it's salty and the car's sitting. supposed to put another 100 miles on the new diff and then I'll make them replace the coolant fitting seals while they're doing all of the other crap (new rad, coolant tank, stock charge piping).

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
View attachment 270358

Wild morning, was out running an errand and the downpipe flew off. One trip to the dealer and two to home depot later and it's got a fresh gasket and clamp, but WTF. Was still kinda smoking a bit after tightening it up but hopefully that's just my finger grease on the gloves burning off. Do not want to deal with another turbo job this month.
WHOA! Talk about instant open exhaust!

scrllock

Autocross Champion
At the shop for the monthly visit. :rolleyes: Driver-side output shaft seal is leaking. I'll be real annoyed if the gearbox has to come out again given that was supposed to be replaced when they did the diff. Dunno what's up with the turbo yet.

In the meantime, shopping for brake pads. DS2500 definitely aren't cutting it anymore. Comparing some options, DS1.11 is pricey but I can keep the 2500s for street use, and I know I like those quite a bit. I'd prefer to have a set of compatible street/autox pads to keep the girodiscs going longer, so that's a price consideration as well.

DS1.11 F/R: $583 (with GBP exchange rates anyway)
Endless ME20 F/R: $705 (+$675 for MX72 F/R)
Gloc R12 + R10: $478 (+$414 for R6 F/R)
iSweep IS3500: $515 (+$425 for is2500 f/r)
Porterfield R4: $510 (+$320 for R4-S)

Endless just isn't economical and there's limited info on the higher-end isweep pads. The cookie cutter R12/R10 combo makes a lot of sense given the long-term costs of replacing the fronts, especially with domestic vendors. Ferodo is stocked stateside but for much higher prices (almost $700 for FRP3067W).