GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Indium Gray Metallic Money Pit Mk7.5R

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Good progress, the build is shaping up to be a good, reliable one you can push on with little worry at the track 👍

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1669667069988.png

Car is going to the shop for the diffs and IS38 soon. Figure if the trans it out it's a good time for a nicer dogbone arm and get rid of the rubber upper bushing. So this thing showed up. Doesn't fit my stock DQ381 portion of the stock mount. Pretty lame for VWR.

Got an underboost and MAP sensor code (p0299 p0106) just taking it down the block to the car wash. I'm putting the stock PUT sensor back in, removing the AEM map sensor/harness, and putting a base map for the RS3 LPFP on. I don't have a good solution for the boost tap besides throwing an NPT plug on it. I've got a couple extra intake manifolds (as you do), I guess I could tap one for MPI. Hoping that the under/overboost problems disappear by going back to the IS38.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
PDC "vented" hood finally arrived.

1670370926646.png

Ok, so there's a grille in the middle vent, cool.

1670370949637.png

And the side vents are totally blocked off. Uhh, what?

1670370980386.png

Flip it over and there are zero actual vents. Wtf?

Sent them an email but I'm not sure what the point of this is.
Product says: "Vented top mid and side fins with heat dissipation design" but I'm not sure what's supposed to dissipate heat?

Waiting on them to respond but a 9 month wait for this crap has me looking at filing a charge back. Not sure if Amex will help given it's _way_ out of the normal refund period.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

View attachment 267418

View attachment 267419

View attachment 267420

Product says: "Vented top mid and side fins with heat dissipation design" but I'm not sure what's supposed to dissipate heat?

Waiting on them to respond but a 9 month wait for this crap has me looking at filing a charge back. Not sure if Amex will help given it's _way_ out of the normal refund period.
I only ever bought one thing from PDC: a steering wheel with a red centering stripe. When I received it, the stripe was an inch off center and when I demanded a refund I was told that "it wasn't functional" and that "I was measuring the center of the wheel wrong". Absolutely infuriating dealing with the owner and baffling that they would claim that it's ok for a centering line to be so obviously off center. I eventually had to ship it back to Malaysia for them to send me a new one.

Never getting a dime of my money again.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

View attachment 267418

View attachment 267419

View attachment 267420

"Sorry, most of our customers don't care about heat dissipation, they just want a CF hood to look cool. In that regard, it is cool enough to dissipate heat."

🤣

Yeah. That's infuriating.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
So, after going back and forth with John @ PDC, this is because I ordered the "level 1" hood, where only the top layer is full CF. I was hoping this would be a bit safer in case of a collision and less risk of the hood flying up (though I also have some quik-latch pins to install).

What wasn't mentioned in my communication with them or on their site is that the level 1 hood doesn't have the vents cut out.
mmexport1639750554752.jpg
The only additional venting on the underside is that center piece in the rear, I'll have to dremel that out as well. Overall, even without putting it on the car I'm fairly disappointed. If it weren't a giant pain to re-sell, I'd probably do that and just pick up a Seibon, at least those are stocked in the US.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Huh, I was looking into order this same hood as well (but the level 2). Disappointing that the vents aren't actually functional.

If you are going to Dremel it make sure you're wearing a respirator and not just a mask covering as well as proper gloves and a long sleeve. Carbon fibers are worse than fiberglass but the real danger is the epoxy, which is highly toxic.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Huh, I was looking into order this same hood as well (but the level 2). Disappointing that the vents aren't actually functional.

If you are going to Dremel it make sure you're wearing a respirator and not just a mask covering as well as proper gloves and a long sleeve. Carbon fibers are worse than fiberglass but the real danger is the epoxy, which is highly toxic.
For sure, I've never done body work but I assume anything involving fiberglass requires PPE.

The level 2 comes with the vents open, but the main path for air out of the bay is through that small piece at the back which leads to the chamber that's open to the small side vents and the main vent over the heat exchanger stack. I would expect much better results from a vent that allows for heat to exit directly above or behind the radiator/intercooler.
If it can be made to fit with a stock radiator, this would definitely be the best solution (though you have to go through a race team):

1670434582476.png

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
For sure, I've never done body work but I assume anything involving fiberglass requires PPE.

The level 2 comes with the vents open, but the main path for air out of the bay is through that small piece at the back which leads to the chamber that's open to the small side vents and the main vent over the heat exchanger stack. I would expect much better results from a vent that allows for heat to exit directly above or behind the radiator/intercooler.
If it can be made to fit with a stock radiator, this would definitely be the best solution (though you have to go through a race team):

View attachment 267482
Maybe you can modify the hood to resemble this, feel like this design would cause air to be sucked through the opening.

Navi

Autocross Champion
That is interesting. I have a level 2 hood and the owner at PDC said that it does remove heat from engine bay and has the same underside as that photo of the level 1 you posted. I even tested it using a leaf blower in the front while holding my hand over the vents and I did feel hot air being blown out from the vents on the top of the hood as the air passed through the grill

Navi

Autocross Champion
Maybe you can modify the hood to resemble this, feel like this design would cause air to be sucked through the opening.
i think the air being pushed through the grill would be stronger than the slipstream sucking back over the top

scrllock

Autocross Champion
That is interesting. I have a level 2 hood and the owner at PDC said that it does remove heat from engine bay and has the same underside as that photo of the level 1 you posted. I even tested it using a leaf blower in the front while holding my hand over the vents and I did feel hot air being blown out from the vents on the top of the hood as the air passed through the grill
so you don't have any openings on the bottom of your hood besides the rear center opening?